Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Systemic Childhood Arthritis

(9 Posts)
nulgirl Sat 03-Oct-09 18:22:55

My friends dd has just been diagnosed with this after a couple of weeks of illness - high temperatures etc. It was originally thought that she just had a bug/ virus but she was admitted to the childrens hospital yesterday and this is what they suspect she has.

Does anyone have any experience of this? What are the normal outcomes for children? I assumed it was a chronic lifelong condition but by googling I understand that children may recover from it.

nulgirl Sun 04-Oct-09 08:39:40

Bump

alypaly Sun 04-Oct-09 10:46:22

If it has been caused by a virus or bug ,it has a better chance of diappearing. They can test whats called IgG and IgM in the blood to see if they have had a recent infection.

The doc should also test ESR and Rheumatoid factor to get a better picture...also CRP

If diagnosed.....they are normally treated with ibuprofen (an NSAID)long term for the condition and a stomach protector as ibuprofen can cause tummy probs.This also takes the temperature down.

It has periods of remissions and flares.
this has a good explanation
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/arthritis/jra.html

PlumBumMum Sun 04-Oct-09 10:50:25

My dd Has had Juevenile arthritis from she was 2 shes now 8,
ARC have a good site for any info and if your friends register and pick all the info they want they will send it to them for free

PlumBumMum Sun 04-Oct-09 10:55:35

They will get loads of info here

All cases are different,
I have met a couple of parents with children with the same condition as my dd,
but my dd unfortunately has issues with her eyes, that these parents have no experience with at all, hope your friends dd is alright

alypaly Sun 04-Oct-09 11:02:13

PB...has she developed dry eyes?

PlumBumMum Sun 04-Oct-09 11:09:13

No my dd has had uevitis from the same age but unfortunately developed glucoma, and cataracts, we've had worst case scenario here, sad
but things are on the up had hopefully our last eye op in the summer,
shes getting new Hannah Montana glasses and the doc said he couldn't be more happy with her right eye (a year from op), so as long as her inflamation is kept under control and pressures maintained I'll be a happy mummy

alypaly Sun 04-Oct-09 11:18:24

sorry to hear that,must be very painful when it flares up and distressing for you

nulgirl Sun 04-Oct-09 20:25:48

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at the websites. My friend will probably know most of this as she is a paediatrician. I just want to get some info so that I don't ask dumb questions and can support her the best I can. Don't want to make any stupid assumptions.

Her dd is still spiking high temperatures and is vomiting (they think due to the fevers). Am house-sitting for my friend tomorrow so will get a better update then. She also has a 2wk old newborn so she is totally mentally and physically shattered sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now