Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Carer's Allowance for Encopresis?

(10 Posts)
beanpip Fri 02-Oct-09 15:57:03

My DS (5) was diagnosed with Encopresis about a year ago. It is quite bad and he has been hospitalised with it. On a bad day he can go through 5-6 pairs of underpants sad.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get financial help in the form of any kind of benefits or carer's allowance for this?

Thanks smile

sarah293 Fri 02-Oct-09 15:59:14

Message withdrawn

beanpip Fri 02-Oct-09 17:33:21

Thank you so much Riven!

sarah293 Fri 02-Oct-09 17:42:44

Message withdrawn

Sidge Fri 02-Oct-09 17:55:16

I don't know if you would qualify for Carer's Allowance unfortunately as the child needs to be in receipt of middle or higher rate care component of DLA.You can, as Riven has said, apply for DLA and then apply for CA if you are awarded middle or higher rate care. The process is quite slow though so you won't receive anything for potentially months.

The other option is to ask your HV or GP is there are any continence products available. In some areas children can have pads and pants supplied if your child meets the criteria.

busybeingmum Fri 02-Oct-09 18:29:11

Message withdrawn

beanpip Fri 02-Oct-09 19:02:59

It's so bluddy complicated isn't it! As if carers of ill/disabled children don't have enough to worry about!

Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it smile

sarah293 Sat 03-Oct-09 08:08:06

Message withdrawn

beanpip Sat 03-Oct-09 15:56:36

Oh wow 4 nappies a day! If 'they' could just think about how many times they go to the toilet every day they could see that its obvously more than 4 times - and thats without an continence problem!!! GRRRRR!!!! angry

Sidge Sun 04-Oct-09 11:47:40

4 nappies a day Riven?

I'm positively jealous of the bountiful provision you get - we only get 3 nappies a day here envy wink

Honestly do they really think a 5.5 year old can only make do with 3 nappy changes a day? We can do that by 1000 some days hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now