Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

room humidity?

(3 Posts)
laurajess Thu 01-Oct-09 15:15:26

my nan was telling me the other day that i need to get a tumble dryer instead of using a clothes horse or putting clothes on radiators to dry because humid air is bad for babies.

i've just been reading on the internet that babies rooms are supposed to be fairly humid because it helps breathing.
does anyone know which one i'm supposed to believe?

thanks
x

Geocentric Thu 01-Oct-09 15:17:27

Oh dear, I think its one of those things where you have to find the right balance. Afaik, air needs some humidity to it, but rooms should not be outright damp. But thats easy to check, just look for damp spots on walls.

angel1976 Thu 01-Oct-09 20:21:48

If you are worried, you can get a small electronic device like this. They are only about a tenner. We actually got rid of our grobag egg for one like this. The reason we got one is because DS went into a room that is mostly basement and we were worried about whether we have a damp issue there (we do but only slightly and it's getting rectified by the homebuilder, thank goodness!). In the research we did (and advice given by professionals), you want a humidity level of around 40-60%. Anything over 70% is considered too humid. IMO, around 75% is when it gets unbearable for me. TBH, you seldom get that unless it's really wet weather during summer and you have a room with damp issues in the first place. A cheaper solution for you could be to get a humidifier and put it on when you have clothes drying, it will help your clothes dry faster and some dehumidifiers have an auto setting so it turns itself off when your room gets to a set humidity level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now