Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9yo DS with swollen testicle

(7 Posts)
clop Wed 30-Sep-09 16:43:35

I'll take him to GP soon, I just wondered if anybody else's DS has had this.

DS 9yo has had a swollen testicle on-off for a few months. The first time it happened it lasted for a week before he told me; it was obviously swollen to look at, but not red. Painful to him, but then it went away by itself. I reckoned that he probably just hurt it.

He told me the other day it's been swelling up again, but only when he needs a wee. Does that sound familiar to anybody? I can't find anything on the Internet about it.

TIA.

throckenholt Wed 30-Sep-09 18:16:15

is it very painful now ? If it is then medical attention asap. If not - then gp asap and investigate possibility of torsion - it maybe a partial one that rectifies itself - but if it is it may be a precursor to the real thing which is a medical emergency.

Better to be safe than sorry and get it investigated.

clop Wed 30-Sep-09 19:09:01

Ta for reply.

It's only mildly painful (he says) and only swells up sporadically (it's fine at the mo). Now he says it doesn't get worse when he needs a wee! Hymph!! 9yo boys, can't trust them on the details.

Making Big Note to Self to Ring Doctor tomorrow.

throckenholt Wed 30-Sep-09 19:12:02

symptoms seem to change every time they are mentioned don't they ?!

As long as it is not really painful it is probably ok to wait - but certainly get it checked out. Something is definitely getting jammed up and needs sorting - even if it is not something more serious.

I guess it is not the sort of things 9 year old boys like to talk about - I know my 8 year old would probably only mention it if it was really worrying him.

singersgirl Wed 30-Sep-09 19:21:16

Could well be a hydrocele, which is sort of like a tiny hernia - a breach in the abdominal wall which allows a little fluid to seep into the scrotum. Sometimes they can go up and down, because the fluid can get reabsorbed and then it might start leaking again (the terms might not be medically accurate).

DS1 had a hydrocele which came on quite suddenly at 6. It needed day surgery to repair it, but they didn't consider it urgent, so it was a good 9 months from GP visit to surgery.

throckenholt Wed 30-Sep-09 19:24:03

Actually I had forgotten about that - my ds had a hydrocele when he was a toddler - it righted itself in the end but would have needed minor surgery if it hadn't. I don't think it was painful - but did get very swollen.

clop Thu 01-Oct-09 10:11:26

Ooh! Hydrocele, that looks very very likely! Ta so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now