Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How many spots makes a measle?

(3 Posts)
nickymorris Mon 28-Sep-09 22:12:26

DS had his first MMR jab 10 days ago and the nurse told me to expect some spots and a bit of a temperature. But I'm being paranoid because I got measles off the jab when I was little and nearly died.

DS has quite a few spots and last night was really hot to touch. And he's been sleeping awfully for the last 3 or 4 nights.

At what point am I not just being paranoid and I should take DS to the doctor?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 28-Sep-09 22:18:45

If his fever goes above 39 and is irreducible (ie if you give him Calpol/neurofen and it doesn't go down an hour later); if he becomes unresponsive or floppy; if he develops an aversion to light/stiff neck or breathing difficulties.

Could his spots be a heat rash?

DS had the feeling like crap and fever 10 days after the MMR, then he got the mumps swelling and finally a glorious german measles rash which was just stunning (it really was actually quite pretty). But that took another three weeks so it was a month in total of side effects.

Incidentally the vaccine has been changed a lot since you had it (unless you are only 13)

nickymorris Tue 29-Sep-09 12:06:32

Thanks for the reply.

Better night last night sleep-wise which is a relief. And he didn't seem quite as hot. I did bring the Calpol down from the bathroom cabinet and put it on my bedside table but didn't have to use it. (13 months and no calpol so far!!)

I also think he's a bit less spotty this morning so that's also good news. Have told the childminder to watch out for if he gets hot again though.

p.s. I'm not 13 :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now