Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is this white thing in my baby's mouth??

(21 Posts)
Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 16:05:46

11 month old dd2 has got some sort of white growth in between her two top front teeth. This morning I thought it was a flap of skin, but it has got bigger during the day. I've made an appointment for her to see the doctor tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what it could be and if there is anything I could do in the meantime? I don't know if it is uncomfortable or not, but she slept really badly last night so I am wondering.

mrsjammi Mon 28-Sep-09 16:08:22

Message withdrawn

brimfull Mon 28-Sep-09 16:08:29

thrush is white

very common inbabies

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 16:11:23

It isn't on her tongue, no.... good idea I will go to the chemist now.

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 16:23:59

Pharmacist thinks it might be an ulcer.

alypaly Mon 28-Sep-09 17:36:43

could be the bud of another tooth coming through in the wrong place...is it hard or palpable

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 17:43:44

No, it's soft. It does look like a weird little extra tooth coming through, which is why I've been prodding at it, but it is definitely soft.

alypaly Mon 28-Sep-09 17:47:04

a common ulcer normally has a centre and has a slightly yellow centre.
Does it look like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer or does it have no broken centre

alypaly Mon 28-Sep-09 17:52:21

is it just the frenum that has got swollen.

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 18:42:33

Hm, no, it doesn't look like that. The swollen part is all white. It does actually have a sort of little crater in the top of it which is a bit pinker though.

bumpyandfrumpy Mon 28-Sep-09 18:56:32

Bohn's nodule?

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 19:44:43

what is a bohn's nodule?

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 19:53:00

Ah, have just googled. But from what I can see, they seem to be a newborn thing. My dd2 is 11 months old, so does that mean it can't be one?

bumpyandfrumpy Mon 28-Sep-09 20:01:25

My DS developped them at about 5 months. They ca happen anytime during the first 18 months if i remember correctly...could be wrong. If that IS what it is (and there are several things like it) they're benign and go away. Sure it will all be fine!

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 20:08:54

OK, I like the sound of benign and will go away. I'm sure it's nothing serious either way but it does look a bit disturbing and she keeps waking up screaming this evening. sad

Aranea Mon 28-Sep-09 20:09:43

When your ds developed them, did they come up very suddenly and very fast? I noticed something there a day or two ago, but it has grown very fast today.

bumpyandfrumpy Tue 29-Sep-09 07:31:27

Maybe not that, then. Hope you get it all sorted. They do sometimes get ulcers from constantly putting fingers in mouth.

Aranea Tue 29-Sep-09 11:19:27

Well, it's very odd. Just seen GP, who said it didn't look like a bacterial infection, not like an ulcer, not like thrush. She had a go at it with a cotton bud and most of it came off! Eeeuuww. She has given me a prescription for a thrush gel and says to come back if it gets worse and the gel doesn't work. But basically I don't think she's got any more idea than I have!

Nezzi Tue 29-Sep-09 11:56:16

Oo, interesting. My DS has one of these too. I noticed it a couple of days ago and thought it looked like a rogue tooth but I can't feel anything when I put my finger in his mouth (other than when he bites me of course!)
DS is 13 months old. I'm taking him for his MMR later sad so I will ask the nurse if she knows what it is.

Aranea Tue 29-Sep-09 12:04:40

Ooh! Let me know what the nurse says!

Good luck with the MMR.

Nezzi Tue 29-Sep-09 21:04:25

Sorry Aranea, we didn't get to see the nurse, she was off sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now