Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I'm obviously doing this Nitty Gritty thing wrong, can any more experienced people help me please??

(7 Posts)
angelene Sun 27-Sep-09 21:59:43

Basically we found an infestation in DD last Sunday, this was a proper infestation whereas previously we've only had one lot of about 4 lice in total.

I have combed DD's hair with the Nitty Gritty comb every night since, and I am still finding lice. I can't see any eggs at all, she is blonde but surely I'd be able to see them? There are always the odd 2 or 3 in her hair to pull out. NG publicity seems to suggest that it only takes one combing through for everything to go, so why am I still finding them after 8 days??

I shampoo and condition her hair, section it and comb through each section downwards. Sometimes I can see them there, right at the scalp, but the comb doesn't pick them up. There must be something I'm getting wrong - can anyone help?

TIA.

morocco Sun 27-Sep-09 22:04:30

not sure there is anything wrong - it usually takes about 10 days or so of combing before I'm happy I've got them all. the eggs hatch so you get some more live ones. the comb can't really get them all first time round unless you're incredibly thorough about doing every bit of hair.

is there plenty of conditioner in her hair when you wet comb?

are you washing the comb after every comb through the hair?

I tend to comb both upwards and downwards. upwards often seems to get more.

other than that, you could also be up against new lice picked up at school?

I agree that upwards combing seems to work better. Also someone on here told me to use 1/2 bottle of conditioner each time - not sure I use quite that much but you really do need to slather it on thick to stop the lice running. You have my sympathies, DD nearly had a crew cut last month.

angelene Sun 27-Sep-09 22:09:27

Thanks Morocco.

DD (4 next week) enjoys the combing because she gets to sit in front of the telly while I do it!

I rinse the conditioner out - I presume this is wrong? God knows how I'll manage to rinse it out after combing.

I'll try combing upwards as well.

You need to have the conditioner still in when you comb.

maxybrown Mon 28-Sep-09 13:43:02

lots of conditioner!!! My friend once took a tub of vaseline to her daughters head. She had very thick almost black wiry long hair. Poor thing, her hair was greasy for ages.....but they all cleared off!! lol

Lovemyshoes Mon 28-Sep-09 13:45:53

I also have trouble of using the NG, it must be me, but, they always say that it scratches their head too much. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now