Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please could you try and diagnose my poorly little girl?

(16 Posts)
beesonmummyshead Sun 27-Sep-09 21:41:15

I am taking her to the doctors tomorrow, but have been googling away and can't find anything that exactly fits her symptoms.

Friday - generally unwell and lethargic. Didn't even enjoy her day on the beach

Friday night fever of over 39 (102.2) - I say over because I took her temp before bed, but she was waaaay hotter in the night. Controlled by medication.

Saturday, tired and drowsy. no appetite, seemed a bit better than friday. By evening complaining of sore mouth. Lips appeared red and puffy (no allergy as she'd barely eaten). fever reducing.

Today, slight fever, irritable, tired, grumpy, constant whinging or crying. Saying her mouth hurts. wants to eat but then screams in pain as her mouth really hurts. It seems to be her tongue and gum above top front teeth that hurts the most. Gum looks sore, but she had bumped it and split it earlier in the week on a trampoline. Tongue bright red and bumpy (like scarlet fever pics). faint rash over legs, arms, darker rash on bum, groin and armpits - very fine pinprick rash which does fade under pressure)

bigger spots (like acne spots but without the head, on knees and side of face/mouth.

So what could it be? hand foot and mouth? but apparently with this there is no high fever, just a low fever, and she has no spots on hands or feet, and a rash everywhere else.

scarlet fever? but she has tongue (i think) pain, and it is rare in toddlers?

She is very unsettled again tonight and I am feeling terribly terribly sorry for the poor little girl. She is only 2

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 21:45:41

They may well just diagnose a virus as viruses can give children all sorts of unexplained rashes.

Could be swine flu ,so may be an idea to call surgery to see whether you should take her or get a phone consultation instead.

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 21:48:54

has she had chicken pox

are the acne like spots new

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:49:45

It may be a primary herpes virus see here has she been in contact with anyone who has a cold sore recently?

beesonmummyshead Sun 27-Sep-09 21:50:58

she has not had chicken pox, and the acne like spots are new, they came on this evening. hmm, I hadn't considered the pox. thank you.

And she is not at all fluey. she has a cough, but no mucous or cold symptoms.

trace2 Sun 27-Sep-09 21:53:16

may be chicken pox or even an infection from the cut!

lavenderkate Sun 27-Sep-09 21:53:52

We've all had the swine flu. It doesnt sound anything like our symtoms.

It does sound more like Chicken pox. You'll know soon enough though as they start appearing.

beesonmummyshead Sun 27-Sep-09 21:54:33

oh interesting about primary herpes simplex, I'd never realised the symptoms were anything other than a coldsore blush. Goodness knows how she could have caught that though, I've not known anyone with a coldsore for years..although she does attend nursery.

thanks for all your suggestions, if nothing else, I'm vastly increasing my medical knowledge

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:55:28

Take her to the gp tomorrow. I hope she feels better soon. smile

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 21:55:40

it's horrible when little ones are ill

beesonmummyshead Sun 27-Sep-09 21:57:01

thanks all, I'm off to bed now as I expect a rough night. Will let you know what the doc says tomorrow. Night

Millarkie Sun 27-Sep-09 21:57:54

When ds had hand foot and mouth he had a fever. H,F and M spots are quite big -like pox spots..not rashy (could faint rash be heat-induced from the fever?)
C pox - big acne type spots (like insect bites) and v high fever (in our experience anyway)..but get spots on torso (H,Fand M has no spots on torso).

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 21:57:56

hope she's better soon

g'night

alypaly Mon 28-Sep-09 00:11:36

does sound like scarlet fever as you can get something called straberry tongue with it...see webpage...hope this helps

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Scarlet-fever/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

alypaly Mon 28-Sep-09 00:14:37

scarlet fever can follow a streptococcal sore throat infection or impetigo

beesonmummyshead Mon 28-Sep-09 11:33:12

morning, just come back from the docs and it is hand foot and mouth, and the other rash which is in her groin is eczema (makes sense now I think about it as dd has been drinking a lot of milk whilst ill, and as a baby she had a dairy intolerance)

she is improving a bit, but her poor mouth still hurts her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now