Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Molloscum contagiosum - anyone tried anything that has actually worked?

(10 Posts)
sweetkitty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:13:58

DD2 has molluscum really bad on her arm, underarm and it's spreading across her tummy and back, she's had them for about 9 months now and they are getting worse.

GP said the usual, they will go away in 18 months.

Have seen adverts for a cream called Zymoderm online but it is £24 a tube and don't want to buy it if it doesn't work.

I use natural tea tree cream and a few drops of tea tree oil in her bath to help stop them spreading, don't think that's doing much though.

Anyone used anything that has worked?

Seona1973 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:17:03

zymaderm didnt work for dd's although it was a liquid that you had to apply with a dropper. I also tried colloidal silver which also didnt work. The only thing that made a difference was when she went for eye squint surgery the surgeon removed some from her face and arm and the rest went away fairly quickly afterwards (a bit of a drastic solution though!!). Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream has worked for some people on here. Do a search as a few suggestions have come up before.

katiemum Sun 27-Sep-09 20:27:41

DD's got much worse over the summer and are now just about all gone - it's a good sign apparently! Do keep them from getting infected - we used some antibiotic cream and plasters once popped or looking a bit on the red side. We have also been having herbal drops for the last 6mths - no idea if they have helped or not or whether it is just time - we have had them for over the year now. We have had tea tree and lavender oils in the bath to stop infection too.
Time does seem to be the biggest thing though.
Good luck.

costagirl Sun 27-Sep-09 20:34:31

Squeezing! And God how I enjoyed it! DS didn't have that many, to be fair, but if I managed to pin him down and squeeze, they disappeared within a day or two. Not much help if your poor DS has lots, sorry.

sweetkitty Sun 27-Sep-09 20:41:04

Thanks, don't know whether to give the Zymaderm a try of the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.

She's 3.8yo and is a bit self counscious about them and has been scratching a few probably as her ezcema is flaring up just now as well, she's keeps asking me if I can put cream on them to make them go away.

costa - I squeezed one the at start when she first had them and she said it was really sore, she must have at least 40 now.

costagirl Sun 27-Sep-09 20:44:12

Poor thing, molluscum is a pain in the arse. I feel v sorry for your DS (and you.)

bramblebooks Sun 27-Sep-09 22:13:03

colloidal silver seemed to work for my ds - or it was coincidence!

MrsAlwaysRight Sun 27-Sep-09 22:42:02

I used Grapefruit Seed Extract in the bath and diluted in oil directly onto the molluscum. I could see a change in them within 24-48 hours of starting to do this. They were all gone in a couple of weeks. HTH

alypaly Mon 28-Sep-09 00:04:18

my son had over a hundred on his abdomen.

A dermatology book that i had from when i was a medical rep told me to get a cocktail stick,dip it in iodine or TCP and then prick about 6 in the centre,as hard as you can without making child scream too much {smile] This makes them go red and inflamed over the next few days and then they erupt and go away completely. But whats interesting was that it set off a chain reaction in all the others and without pricking them, they went inflammed and disappeared without leaving any mark. That is exactly what the book told me would happen and my GP said there was nothing you can do and they will go when they want. Foiled again!!!

NKffffffff9d5230eaX119e410910c Mon 05-Oct-09 22:50:26

Comvita Skintensive Cream With UMF 18+ Active Manuka Honey - using it at the moment on DD who has had molloscum since July 09. It's like a miracle cream - just used it for a few nights so far but already they are shrinking and fading and 2 have totally disappeared. Amazing stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now