Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My friend is sure ds2 has reflux, what do you think?

(17 Posts)
Phoenix Fri 25-Sep-09 15:45:11

He is 11wk old and is sick after most bottles (formula) sometimes a lot, sometimes a bit. Occasionally he is sick just before his next feed is due, so roundabout 3hrs after his last one and it is thick and smelly.

He doesn't sleep very well. He goes to sleep on me but not always for very long but i cannot put him down because he just wakes up. He has only ever slept for a max. of 2hrs in his cot but recently will only sleep for literally a few minutes then is stretching and groaning. I end up putting him in bed with me on my chest and he sleeps for hours. I don't like him been on me but it is the only way either of us get any sleep.

He quite often gets hiccups after a feed which usually make him sick a little bit.

He stretches/arches his back alot.

He sometimes sort of gulps like something is coming up.

I've started sitting his chair and pushchair up a little bit and he will sit and play in his chair for quite a bit longer without screaming.

Not sure if these things mean anything but he also rubs his head from side to side when he's on me and he cannot keep a dummy in his mouth, he wants it but really can't keep it in hmm

Does anyone else think it could be reflux?

Phoenix Fri 25-Sep-09 16:02:43

Oh and arm thrashing all the time.

ladylush Fri 25-Sep-09 17:17:11

Yes it does rather sound like reflux. Take him to the gp. I have found infant gaviscon helps as dd is not sick as often, but it does little for her digestive discomfort. Like your ds, dd sleeps best when on me. She dislikes being on her back. dd has bad wind as well (her farts smell foul!)and sometimes she screams in pain sad I bought a homeopathic medicine on line called colic calm. It's expensive but it gave us some much needed peace in the evenings and we haven't had to use it during the past week so either it is working or her digestive system is getting better.

Phoenix Fri 25-Sep-09 19:30:51

Oh god yes, he constantly farts. Is that a symptom too?

sarah293 Fri 25-Sep-09 19:37:54

Message withdrawn

trace2 Fri 25-Sep-09 19:43:37

yes it sounds like reflux!

Phoenix Fri 25-Sep-09 20:30:10

Thanks for the replies, i'm going to take him to the doctors on Monday.

ladylush Sat 26-Sep-09 09:39:13

How do they do a PH test? My dd was not given one - just a px for gaviscon.

glasgowlass Sat 26-Sep-09 10:01:45

Oh that sounds exactly like my DS was at 3 weeks(right down to the hiccups)! DX of reflux and px of infant gaviscon which helped within 24 hours. Have just managed to wean him from Gaviscon now aged 10 months. He is under paed care for it though and is due to be seen again in a month.

I would definatley take your DS to GP, write everything down so you dont forget anything and if GP is unsure ask for pead referral.

sarah293 Sat 26-Sep-09 15:55:56

Message withdrawn

ladylush Sat 26-Sep-09 19:42:25

Riven that's what I'm worried about. We've been giving her gaviscon and that worries me given how tiny she is (was a prem baby).

sarah293 Sat 26-Sep-09 20:07:18

Message withdrawn

wheresmymillionaire Sun 27-Sep-09 00:04:41

My DD had it too. No drugs tho. I formular fed her and found Farleys to be best. Had to hold her upright for 45mins after each feed - even night feeds. She spent all her time propped up in chairs, and would roll onto her side when placed on the floor - even though she was too young really to be rolling over. Not easy to live with, but it does get better!! My DD was ok by 6 months.
Good luck!!!

ladylush Sun 27-Sep-09 04:06:26

Thanks Riven. Feel concerned about the PH study given that dd was fed via NG tube for weeks and having come so far since (now breast fed)and having got into a feeding routine (almost) it would feel like taking a backward step. Though I know it's the only way a diagnosis can be made. Gaviscon looks fairly innocuous compared to a lot of meds (thanks for the link). Actually, she is hardly having any now that we are bf cos she spits most of it out or I just don't bother giving it cos it's too much of a struggle to get her to take it. We took her to an osteopath today who is confident he can treat so if that works we'll ditch the gaviscon.

sarah293 Sun 27-Sep-09 09:36:36

Message withdrawn

ladylush Tue 29-Sep-09 17:52:09

The thing is....dd has all the clasic signs of reflux. Unfortunately her vomitting has increased dramatically since I started bf her (not getting gaviscon via bottle) - she won't take it unless it's mixed with milk.

ladylush Tue 29-Sep-09 17:52:48

Dd has a hernia and reflux is very common in babies with hernias.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now