Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bumped head: no worrying symptoms, is it safe to just keep an eye on him?

(8 Posts)
SolidGoldBrass Fri 25-Sep-09 12:10:42

DS took a tumble in the playground, has graze and big goose egg coming up on his forehead. He wasn't knocked out, both pupils are the same size, no vomiting, and is as lively and full of coherent conversation as ever. (about an hour down the line now). Am I safe enough just to keep an eye on him, or should we spend a merry afternoon in A&E demanding Xrays?

AMumInScotland Fri 25-Sep-09 12:21:08

Just keep an eye on him - lots of children get bumps and have no ill-effects. It sounds like you know the sort of things to look out for.

belgo Fri 25-Sep-09 12:22:23

I agree, keep an eye on him, check on him regularly during the night.

SoupDragon Fri 25-Sep-09 12:23:55

The advice I've had from A&E for head injuries like that are to rouse them when you go to bed and then once in the night (rouse enough to ensure they are asleep not unconscious)

SolidGoldBrass Fri 25-Sep-09 12:25:07

TY all. I do think he's going to be OK but this is about the worst bump I've ever seen on him and he is my PFB and only 5...

belgo Fri 25-Sep-09 12:27:14

Because you can see the bump, I think that means that the bleeding is external rather then inside the brain. This happened to my dd when she was about three, it was such a huge bump; and she is now five and still has a slightly bumpy forehead.

belgo Fri 25-Sep-09 12:29:11

My ds was admitted to hospital for a night earlier this week following a bump because he stopped breathing and lost conciousness. There was no sign of a bump and the doctors were concerned because they didn't know if he had internal bleeding because there was no sign of external bleeding.

He was totally fine the next day.

EldonAve Thu 01-Oct-09 20:28:16

bumping this as have a similar story today

I don't know how big a goose egg is but DS has a bump about 5-6 cm across on his forehead

Apart from keeping an eye on him overnight is that it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now