Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Boys had jabs and their arms look like mince meat....

(58 Posts)
KerryMumbles Thu 24-Sep-09 20:24:14

sad

is this normal?

4in1 (diptheria, tetanus, pertusis, polio, iirc). They never got their pre-school boosters (they are almost 7 and almost 11) but ds2 got poked by a rusty nail so i decided to have them both done.

ds1's is SWOLLEN the area is about the size of an orange and almost as swollen ffs.

ds2's is more red and blotchy and angry looking than swollen. But it is a large area, about the size of hmmm, an orange...

they both have a lot of allergies, ds1 in particular.

KerryMumbles Thu 24-Sep-09 20:32:14

anybody?

ds2 says his is quite sore. ds1 says his isn't...

perdu Thu 24-Sep-09 20:33:48

not an expert but doesn't sound normal...

KerryMumbles Thu 24-Sep-09 20:42:29

it doesn't does it?

I've done some reading and it says most common reactions are redness and swelling at injection site but this is a bit much.... sad

perdu Thu 24-Sep-09 21:02:40

can you call NHS direct?

I imagine you should be planning a trip back to your surgery first thing tomorrow.

are your ds's complaining of other symptons?

AtheneNoctua Thu 24-Sep-09 21:16:56

Thqt does not sound normal to me. My kids got a small red swollen bit. They were babies. But I am talking the size of a pea... maybe broad bean. Def not an orange!

pippel Thu 24-Sep-09 21:26:31

dd2 had this it came up while we were still in the surgery and she was rushed straight in to see the doctor. At its biggest it was measuring 8cm by 5cm (shes 3 months)

They said if it got any bigger to take her straight to hospital, but it didn't and she was quiet cheerful.

Apparently she has to stay for a bit next time to make sure it doesn't happen again, as it might be worse next time, but I'm not even sure I want her to have it again.

pippel Thu 24-Sep-09 21:31:31

oh and hers came up on her face and she didnt react to the first lot she had

KerryMumbles Thu 24-Sep-09 21:36:01

hmm. i am going to measure i think...

KerryMumbles Thu 24-Sep-09 21:47:02

ds1's is 5cm x 5 cm but sticking OUT iyswim.

haven't done ds2's yet but it's not as swollen out. He just says it's sore and his belly hurts.

pippel Thu 24-Sep-09 21:51:41

Id ring nhs direct it definetly doesnt sound right

BertieBotts Thu 24-Sep-09 21:55:13

I think they ought to see the doctor just to be sure. Ring NHS Direct or your out of hours clinic.

tulip27 Thu 24-Sep-09 21:56:43

Hello, I am a practice nurse who gives childhood vaccinations and yes that swelling after the diptheria, tetanus and polio can happen, prob happens to about 10% of the little ones, certainly my ds and dd had the same swelling. It went within 3 days and left no marks. Its described as an antibody reaction. Check out the dept of health green book for more info, its on line but sorry am computer illiterate so can't do links but if you google that you should end up in the right spot. Obviously any breathing probs or facial swelling does need investigation but if its just in the arm your prob ok.
Hope they feel better soon.

KerryMumbles Thu 24-Sep-09 22:04:26

I'm in Ireland. Sorry should have said so no nhs direct access.

Thank you everyone. Thanks Tulip smile

I'm well versed with anaphylaxis as ds1 has it to dairy nuts and eggs so I know what to look out for regarding that and have anapens. sad

pippel Thu 24-Sep-09 22:07:25

tulip27 do you think that dd should have the next jab since it was on her face her yellow book says that it was facial erythema and erythema at the ingection site, or I think thats what it says the writtings not very clear

tulip27 Fri 25-Sep-09 15:00:16

I would always advise that any child with facial swelling post immunisation should have further vaccinations in a hospital setting.This can be arranged with your GP.

KerryMumbles Sat 26-Sep-09 11:18:06

so gp reiterated what tulip said with the addition of it's to be expected with my two given all of their allergies and health problems hmm

do not think I will be injecting either of them with anything ever again ffs. ds2's rash is completely covering his entire upper arm now and is very angry looking.

ds1's veins are bulging on his upper arm

sad

OmicronPersei8 Sat 26-Sep-09 11:28:18

Your poor boys Kerry, I hope it goes down over the weekend.

brokenrecord Sat 26-Sep-09 11:49:05

Sorry to hear this. My DD had a hot, red, swollen reaction to this injection, measured approx 10cm across. The reaction increased through the series of 3 jabs, and then on thhe pre-school booster she had the same thing again. It went down after a 4 or 5 days and left no mark or seeming problems.

brokenrecord Sat 26-Sep-09 11:49:42

PS. She has no particular allergies that we know of.

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 20:53:18

Oh hell. ds2's has spread down to forearm and he's crying cause it itches so much.

have given him zirtec. sad

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 20:57:20

kerry i hope you are making notes of all of this

it's crap

so sorry to hear it's got worse

brimfull Sun 27-Sep-09 21:02:54

my ds (loads of allergies as well) had a massive reaction from his jabs

also the size of orange took absolutely ages to go down

he reacted badly to all his vaccines

I decided not to give him the pre-school mmr as he was so ill with the first one when he was 2

KerryMumbles Sun 27-Sep-09 21:04:44

i am taking pics and making notes.

I am so fucking glad I never got them their MMRs and now I never will...

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 21:06:07

Kerry I don't know if you are "into" homeopathy (I'm not) but I read once that there are homeopathic "antidotes" or some such for vaccines.

Possibly useless suggestion, don't know much about homeopathy.

Bloody buggers, don't let anyone tell you it's normal, it's not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now