Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Parents of toddler girls, I have a hideously embarrassing question to ask you about little girls bits.

(13 Posts)
deeplyembarrassed Tue 22-Sep-09 18:33:33

I have wondered for a while now whether to ask this, but after not being able to ask anyone in real life, and knowing that I really ought to put my mind at rest I felt that I should ask. Please don't flame me, or think I am wierd, I am genuinely concerned.

I have recently looked after my friend's little girl who is a similar age to my little girl (2 years old). We see them regularly and all get on very well. They are a "normal" middle class family and the child goes to a childminder each day as mother works.

So, I had sole care of the child recently and had to change a very messy nappy. I was surprised to notice that the little girl had a noticable vagina, with the hole being slightly open. (so sorry, am cringing writing this). Obviously all little girls have them, but my dd's is hardly noticable and certainly not open in anyway.

why would this be? is it anything to be concerned about? or is is just a case of everyone is different, and they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and some are more "open" than others?

blush blush blush

TIA

Jujubean77 Tue 22-Sep-09 18:36:39

I think they vary just as adults to - come in all shapes and sizes. Did she seem sore or in pain when you changed her? What was your worry?

Beachcomber Tue 22-Sep-09 18:37:09

'tis normal, IMO, they come in all shapes and sizes (I have 2 young DDs).

BroccoliSpears Tue 22-Sep-09 18:39:09

Sounds like a normal middle class vagina to me.

FlyMeToDunoon Tue 22-Sep-09 18:40:33

Can't remember the other two but DD3's is open slightly.
Normal.

lou031205 Tue 22-Sep-09 19:03:56

All 3 of my girls (3.9, 2.1 & 0.5) have slightly open, noticeable vaginas. Didn't realise it could be any other way. Could it be positional? My DDs all spread their legs quite widely when nappy changing, so it is very clear. But the eldest is potty trained, so I only clean her led down if she is a bit sore and needs cream. At those times, she brings her legs closer together, and it seems less open. Hope that helps.

deeplyembarrassed Tue 22-Sep-09 19:49:40

thank you for being so kind she doesn't appear in any pain or in anyway concerned. Not having seen many vaginas it just surprised me a bit!

will rest assured. No idea why my dd's is closed though hmm perhaps that deserves a thread all of its own grin

vesela Tue 22-Sep-09 21:56:09

Does it actually open? If not, there's a chance she may have a labial adhesion - my DD did. I didn't realise it was supposed to look any different!

PANCHEY Thu 01-Oct-09 09:03:06

My sister had this in the 70s and had to have a small medical procedure to open her. I checked both DD1 and DD2. DD1 is fine, but there is little evidence of an opening in DD2. DD2 is 3 months old. I have checked it out with the doctor, (how do you explain why you were looking this closely?). She advised that we should wait for a year and see if the problem resolves itself. There are two options available now if it does not (so I understand), there is a hormonal cream which can thin the skin and promote opening of the vagina, or a small medical procedure (as per my sister). I was very worried when I first realised so feel for you, but recommend that you go check it out with your doctor. Hope that this rambling post helps.

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Thu 01-Oct-09 09:05:30

I hope my vagina looks suitable middle class

morningpaper Thu 01-Oct-09 09:14:48

There are some pics of fused vaginas on Google images if you can bear to load them

Good luck - don't worry about it though!

Miggsie Thu 01-Oct-09 09:21:23

If it helps DD's didn't "open" until she was about 4...luckily I knew she was fine as she had had to see a paedeatrician for a urinary tract infection when she was 3 and was examined then and the paed said nothing (so she was obviously fine in that department), so I just assumed they "open" later, which is what DD's did.
She is 6 now and her "bits" are begining to look more adult (is that the right way to express it?)

PANCHEY Thu 01-Oct-09 10:21:55

Yes excuse the "open" terminology, it is hard to figure out how to express it, also I do not usually post but thought I may be able to add something relevant to this discussion.

To add to the previous post, the doctor was quite unsurprised, and did not think action now was the thing. My sister was about 5 when she had the medical procedure done, but this was the 70s and there is nothing to say that this would not have resolved itself eventually on its own. As it is she is now 39, has one daughter and is perfectly fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now