Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

insect bite on eyelid

(6 Posts)
ThingOne Tue 22-Sep-09 07:58:56

DS1 is five. Got bitten on his eyelid last night. It's slightly swollen and clearly uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do?

Are there any non-drowsy anti-histamines for small children?

whomovedmychocolate Tue 22-Sep-09 20:22:50

Oh the poor thing. Neurofen is anti-inflammatory as well as pain relieving - try that - try also a cold compress. Anti-histamines for small children are not great - they make them very drowsy and unable to go to school/play.

alypaly Tue 22-Sep-09 20:39:19

if it starts to look infected go to the docs

alypaly Tue 22-Sep-09 20:40:14

GP can prescribe Neoclarityn syrup half dosage but you need a prescrition

TheFoosa Tue 22-Sep-09 20:42:31

i have this too - it bloody hurts

ThingOne Tue 22-Sep-09 20:55:17

Thanks all. Chemist was closed this morning so I didn't get to pick their brains on the way to school. I told the TA about it so she could ring me if it got worse but all was well. And there was no sign of swelling when I picked him up, which was a relief. He must have been distracted enough not to rub it, unless the TA was on the case from the start.

It must have hurt - he woke up and came into bed with me and then tossed and turned for an hour and a half before finally falling asleep. If only I'd known what it was I could have drugged him then.

I'll know what to do if it happens again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now