Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How can I get more fliuds into DD?????

(5 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Sat 19-Sep-09 15:11:18

DD has been poorly for the last two days with very high temp, but she won't drink much. Hav tried putting ice cubes in as her throat is ver red (today has red spots anyone know what that is?), have even tried a fruit shoot but still not drinking.

She's not eating much either she's fine with breakfast but not lunch or tea.

Have got some melon to try when she gets up but any other ideas please?

Also at what point does not drinking much become a problem?

Cies Sat 19-Sep-09 15:20:45

Ice lolly?
Other fruit?
Smoothie?

kreecherlivesupstairs Sat 19-Sep-09 15:22:58

How old is she? My dd got so dehydrated she didn't have enough spare liquid to cry tears. She was about 8 months old then.
If yours is of an age when you can reason with her, I'd try laying it out on the line, something along the lines of you could be admitted to hospital for an IVI, you could ..................have your eyes fall out. Nothing too scary obviously.
Has she seen the doctor for a diagnosis? I'd give her soup if she will tolerate it as well as ice lollies, ice cream and lots of watery veg and fruit - grapes, toms, melons etc.

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 20-Sep-09 08:34:22

kreecher i think telling her that her eyes could fall out would be scary but maybe thats just me.

She's 18mths, have spoken to NHS Direct as chemist insisited I called flu hotline (did the online assessment as shes not got swine flu) it gave me the code for the drugs and asked me t call NHS direct due to her other symptoms. NHS Direct said not to give it to her at that point and she how she gets on.

Cies, lolly went down well yesterda thanks.

Kreecher thats terrible about your DD, mine is certainly not at that point yet.

Doesn't help that she is teething as well so is struggling to eat most stuff thats needs chewing.

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Sun 20-Sep-09 08:38:37

ice lolly, blending up fruits and adding water or yoghurt, syringing water into mouth if really desperate (what we resorted to pre tube for our dd with sn)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now