Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Single MMR jabs...

(10 Posts)
laurawantsababy Sat 19-Sep-09 14:33:38

My parents have offered to pay for my 15mo dd to have the MMR but in single doses.

Would you accept?? They are quite serious that they dont want her having the all in one because of things they were told when we were younger.

Advice needed please. Thanks smile

MintChocAddict Sat 19-Sep-09 14:41:08

Go with your gut instinct. DS had singles and I had my own reasons for making that decision. Do some research. Lots of info available.

Should point out though that since DS had his last year there has been a serious shortage of single mumps. Not sure of the ins and outs of it but worth checking out.

Difficult decision for many. I hope you reach a decision that's right for you.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 19-Sep-09 15:55:56

Its personal choice. DH and I chose single jabs for DS after lots of careful research and remain happy that we made the right decision.

mmrred Sat 19-Sep-09 16:14:10

Personally I'd say they were wasting their money, but also there is no single mumps vaccine available - the American company that hold the patent on the only strain that has been OK'd in the UK aren't making it anymore. They may start again in two years, but as far as I know there is nothing definite.

peekabooo Sat 19-Sep-09 16:49:12

yes, have the singles!! when my oldest son had his mmr it made him really really ill for weeks, it completely stopped all speech (which he was very infront with) for months and has taken us about a year to get him back to normal, we were even thinking he could have ADS at one point but thank god he is now up to speed for his age (nearly 3), i can not urge you enough not to let her have the mmr, please please please have the singles! i would not wish what we went through on anybody

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 19-Sep-09 17:10:42

Message withdrawn

crokky Sat 19-Sep-09 17:33:49

My children have had singles. I would get them. Be aware that the mumps vaccine is totally out of stock and it may be a months at least before it comes back. It shouldn't be a problem for your DD to wait for it, my DD is waiting.

How do you feel about your DD having the MMR?

CatherineofMumbles Sat 19-Sep-09 17:43:00

Yes - no brainer. Only measles is serious so get that one definitely and mump if it is available. Rubella is not a serious disease, (many of us have had it & acquired immunity) without even being aware), so no worth doing at all for boys, and girls only when they reach child-bearing age, as can affect the foetus if caught in pregnancy.

Jujubean77 Sat 19-Sep-09 17:50:45

Do it - DD had measels and when Mumps becomes available wil have that too. We are having rubella at some point but no rush.

laurawantsababy Sat 19-Sep-09 20:24:39

Thanks all. Very interesting.

Im not sure about the MMR to be honest. I worked in a nursery once and boy it. He was completely different when he came in after it.

I am a bit concerned that the mumps vaccine isnt currently available.

Is mumps such a biggie though? I thought it was worse for boys to get then girls??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now