Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu Jab (normal NOT swine) for 7 year old DS

(5 Posts)
carocaro Sat 19-Sep-09 11:43:27

My 7 year old DS has been invited for a seasonal flu jab, he has very mild asthma and really suffered last year with 2 nasty chest infections, I have two questions:-

1. Have any of your children had the flu jab and if so how was it?

2. He's never had flu, so why the jab now?

Thanks.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 19-Sep-09 11:57:39

dd has had it annually since she was 4 (she had pretty severe asthma when she was little, eased off somehwat nowadays). She needed 2 jabs spaced apart the first year. tbh she has never had a bad reaction to it. It is a lot less sore for her than other jabs. Flu can be really nasty for asthmatics so I have never hesitated.

pofacedandproud Sat 19-Sep-09 12:11:54

seeing as the experts have been saying that seasonal flu strains have been largely replaced by SF, she is no more at risk from seasonal flu this year than she has been any other year.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 19-Sep-09 12:27:44

Also heard that this years seasonal jab is not a great match for the non-pandemic strains.

RubberDuck Sat 19-Sep-09 13:01:36

I'm asthmatic and had flu about 5 years ago now. It wasn't pleasant and drastically worsened my asthma for about 6 months afterwards.

I haunt the GPs office from about mid-September for the flu jab now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now