Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Giving medicine to a very reluctant baby

(13 Posts)
fadingfast Thu 17-Sep-09 21:31:36

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My 17mo DD really hates taking medicine. We have tried using a syringe, but she mostly just spits it out and/or chokes. She generally refuses to take it from a spoon - I had some success with trying different spoons, but she has got wise to it now. We have also tried a dummy device with a small reservoir, but since she doesn't usually have a dummy it didn't work.

I have given up on calpol as the dose (10ml) is just too big. We've been trying calprofen as at least you only need to get 2.5ml in. Initially she seemed better with it but is now refusing it again.

She has had an intermittent temperature and now seems to have a nasty cough/cold, so could really do with taking something but we're running out of ideas. I hate feeling like we're forcing her to have it as she gets so distressed but I don't know what else to do.

Has anyone successfully overcome this?

Littlefish Thu 17-Sep-09 21:33:32

Have you tried using paracetemol suppositories? They are expensive, but they ensure that a full dose is taken. I've had to give them to dd a couple of times. She looked a bit surprised when they went in, but didn't cry at all smile.

plonker Thu 17-Sep-09 21:33:33

My friend used to mix calpol into a strawberry yoghurt for her dd ...might work for you?

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 00:21:30

you can get paracetamol suppositories in 125mg,250 and 500mg

MarmadukeScarlet Fri 18-Sep-09 00:32:56

Get the suppositories on 'scrip from the GP they are over £16 for 10 120mg ones! (higher dose are more) I have a DS (and when younger DD) that as soon as get a temp over 38.5-39 vom up any meds, rendering the whole process pointless and distressing.

120mg - 1 supp. for up to 11kg, tbh I would go for a 250mg for large than about 12 kg rather than the faff of putting 2 in.

We are notoriously squeamish about this form of medicating in UK (assuming that is where you are from) but I highly reccomend them.

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 00:39:12

they are brilliant...if you go to greece thay are about £2 a packet. Quickest way to get meds into system.

seems daft to use a suppository for a headache but the europeans use them for everythinghmm

nappyaddict Fri 18-Sep-09 02:01:44

Mix it into yoghurt, juice, milkshake, jam, milk, hot chocolate, chocolate spread etc?

Bribe with chocolate after to take the taste away and reward stickers?

Let her do it herself?

Role play with teddy/dolly first?

I know someone who puts a chocolate button on top of the medicine on the spoon, and one in her dd's mouth. The idea was she would take the medicine and not want to spit it out because of not wanting to spit out the chocolate.

seeker Fri 18-Sep-09 05:59:41

Unless she is seems really poorly, I wouldn't bother. There's other ways to control a mild raised temperature and it sounds as if forcing her to take it is causing her more distress than any symptoms she might be suffering with her cold.

acebaby Fri 18-Sep-09 09:08:14

Try giving a half dose of the 6+ calpol (obviously check the dose with the pharmacist first!) Also try other medicine. DS1 hated calpol but was fine with disprol, which is a soluble tablet.

I don't know if your lo is too young for this, but when DS1 had antibiotics he didn't like, I gave him the medicine and then a chocolate button immediately afterwards 'to take the taste away'. The motivation of the chocolate button was usually sufficient!

Finally, try not to give the medicine when your DD is feeling acutely ill (strange advice I know). So when she has a cold/fever and you know she will need medicine, give her regular doses (staggered calprofen and calpol if necessary).

MrsMagnolia Fri 18-Sep-09 20:05:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fadingfast Sun 20-Sep-09 21:48:41

Thanks for all the replies. We have been away for the weekend, still struggling with giving medicine! I resorted to mixing it with jam, which worked a treat a couple of times but then she went off the idea.

I must admit I am a bit shock about the idea of suppositories, but then I guess that's because I'm an uptight Brit! Might see if I can get some from the chemist, but I'm not sure if I will successfully pin her down to get it in. How far exactly is it meant to go in??

I think she is still a bit too young for bribery (17mo) and I agree that it is easier giving her the stuff before she gets too bad, as we've had a bit more success with just a spoon then. We have also been using Boots own brand rather than Calpol today, which seemed to be better accepted.

She's had a fluctuating temp now for four days so off to the Drs tomorrow I think.

Thank you for your help.

nappyaddict Mon 21-Sep-09 01:26:56

I'm sure I managed to bribe DS from about 18/19 months so it may work and my friend bribes her 11 month old with chocolate buttons. When I say bribe you don't actually explain if you have this medicine you can have some chocolate or whatever after. You get the medicine in whatever way you can and then give them the chocolate button after. It doesn't take long for them to realise if they comply it's an easy way of getting chocolate grin

nappyaddict Mon 21-Sep-09 01:29:12

disprol is good too. You can mix it in juice, lemonade or whatever. It's the only time DS is allowed lemonade grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now