Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

nose bleeds

(5 Posts)
Boblina Thu 17-Sep-09 17:35:30

Hi my 2 year old DS has started having heavy nose bleeds when sleeping. They are not every nice but he seems to have one at least once a week. They are not little ones. He does not wake up or at least it does not make a sound which I assume that if he woke up he would do. But when I check on him either at night or in the morning and he has had one then the sheet has big puddles of blood. Has anyone else had this? Is there anything that couses it? What can I do? Should I go and see the doctor? Health visitor? nurse? Greatful for your thoughts on this. Thanks xx

EldonAve Thu 17-Sep-09 17:38:41

definitely see the GP

Singstar Thu 17-Sep-09 18:44:17

my ds's had these (still get them and they're 3.5 and 4.5) someone told me it had something to do with them growing. If he's not waking up I wouldn't be so worried but I would talk to your health visitor if only for reassurance. The advice I've been given is that if the nosebleeds last for longer then 20 minutes then you should consider taking them to A&E to get their nose packed, other than that, when their nose bleeds, pinch it at the fleshy bit, give them a cuddle and wait it out. Apparently having them at night is more common as there is more blood flowing to the head. HTH

Singstar Thu 17-Sep-09 18:46:03

Also, look at the nhs website for child health I found it quite helpful.

iloveshoesandbags Thu 17-Sep-09 18:57:22

I've just taken my 10 ds to the gp with these. He has prescribed a silver nitrate stick that I have to take to gps if she has any more. (not looking forward to that) but he also showed her how to hold on to her nose when they start so that she stops the blood flow. Usually hers are in the day but she gets the occasional one at night too.

hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now