Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can nits/lice DIE if you go swimming? Do they drown?

(13 Posts)
Oliveoil Thu 17-Sep-09 14:19:12

because I am fed up of bloody combing tbh

it may be a coincidence but when dd1 & 2 have been swimming a lot the nits seem to go

tyotya Thu 17-Sep-09 21:43:56

I had nits once and all the swimming in the world made no difference at all. Got 'head high' prescribed by doctor.

Apparently tea trea products kill them - healthier for you than organophosphate based preparations.

moondog Thu 17-Sep-09 21:45:12

No.
Mykids swim loads and I have battled with bloody lice on and off for a year now. Really annoying.

needahand Thu 17-Sep-09 22:02:18

no they swim! You easily catch them at the swimming pool. Or so I have always been told. That is why people used to use hats in the past (...I think)

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 18-Sep-09 09:02:18

Another nay sayer, dd used to swim every day yet we still battled the nits (and the green hair)

Oliveoil Fri 18-Sep-09 14:07:05

oh fgs

are you sure? what about salt water rather then chlorine?

I am sick to sodding death of the little sods

dd1 sits next to someone who is ALWAYS itching and I comb and comb, voila, done

then she goes back and gets them again

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ivykaty44 Fri 18-Sep-09 14:08:36

lol

Olive oil does the trick smile they drown in that and die smile

Hassled Fri 18-Sep-09 14:09:50

No, they don't drown. They are indestructable. Like Captain Scarlet.

But if you've identified the source child, is it worth asking the teacher to have a word with the girl's parents?

Ivykaty44 Fri 18-Sep-09 14:10:23

lol - din't realise that was your name grin it really des work though and a little olive oil on the hair before school prevents the bu**ers aswell

Oliveoil Fri 18-Sep-09 14:11:27

oh really?

I have researched the (many) nit threads on here and someone mentioned baby oil so will investigate that also

bit greasy though

but it still doesn't stop the itchy girl at the next chair though angry

Oliveoil Fri 18-Sep-09 14:13:14

I have a lovely spray that goes on when I do hair for school, called Wild Child, essential oils etc

well I think it smells lovely, girls think it is foul and scream

supposed to do a big V sign to nits iirc

badbadbadCappy Fri 18-Sep-09 14:18:10

my mum who worked in schools for years said to overcondition your kids' hair

the nits couldn't get a foothold then

it does sound insane (many of my mother's ideas do) but so far it has worked - having said that they may both come home with nits tonight

colditz Fri 18-Sep-09 14:19:37

Slather hair in conditioner then plait it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now