Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Not so nice - very itchy bottom

(29 Posts)
stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:02:59

Question for my niece. She is nearly 4 and for the last week has had her hands down the back of her knickers and itching herself. We have checked and her bum is not red, cut etc. Tried nappy rash cream does n't seem to have helped. She says it is itchy. I do not think she has worms - no signs of this. Any ideas what it is and how to treat? Thanks

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:03:37

should say - no change of washing powder etc.

ingles2 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:08:58

Are you sure it's not worms?
You need to check at night with a torch.

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:09:28

????? what do you do? I am cared of the answer

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:12:19

that should say scared

TsarChasm Thu 17-Sep-09 14:14:32

Hang on depends where she means.

Dd said this to me last night and I went into overdrive inspecting inner areas. She she said no not there - she meant she had a bit of eczema on her bottom cheek. She wondered what on earth I was doing, I thinkgrin

If itchy around/in/near anus chances are it is threadworms even if you can't see 'em straight away. They sneak out at night and sometimes you can see them if you launch a surprise attack with a torch.

PestoLovelyMonster Thu 17-Sep-09 14:14:41

Worms

Get stuff over the counter from the pharmacy and make sure you treat all the family and repeat again in a fortnight.

Wash all bedding and towels on hot wash.

Make sure she wears pyjamas at night.

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:16:30

I feel sick.

It is near anus. Shall we self treat (or rather her mother should) or shall we take to doctor. How do they diagnose this?

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:17:25

Why would all the family have it?

ingles2 Thu 17-Sep-09 14:23:04

well because if she is scratching her anus and not washing her hands she'll spread the eggs around on door handles, toilets etc. I wouldn't bother checking with a torch, it will be worms. Just get some Ovex tablets from Boots and follow the instructions.

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 14:23:24

OH OOH OH OHOH

its worms

CybilLiberty Thu 17-Sep-09 17:25:22

STAND ASIDE- RESIDENT MUMSNET WORM EXPERT (self appointed) HAS ARIVED.

No need to feel sick, EVERY ONE gets worms at some point... it's not catching them again thats the bugger. We have it regularly here, despite being clean!

My ds is a finger chewer so if anyone at school has it (and apparently 40% of under 10's have it ) he will catch it straight away. And often pass it onto me, joy of joys.

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 18:23:05

it made my ds double over in agony at the drop ofa hat
thought he had an anal fissure

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:30:02

Have purchased Ovel (or might be Ovet) as doctor did n't even want to see her - nurse diagnosed on phone. We shall see. Thanks all - still feel sick though!

AnyFucker Thu 17-Sep-09 20:33:01

you will feel sick if you ever get 'em yourself

when you wipe your arse and they wave at you !!

stressed2007 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:40:23

oh that is just awful.... go and wash your mouth out with soap now! shock

AnyFucker Thu 17-Sep-09 20:42:56

well, I washed my arse out...about 200 times grin

and then took the Ovex

whoever invented Ovex needs a medal or a knighthood

whoever invented threadworms needs shooting

< shakes fist at sky >

TsarChasm Thu 17-Sep-09 20:42:59

It's a rite of passage (sorry, passage probably isn't such a good wordgrin).

I posted once in equal horror; I think most of us do.

Mnetters came on to reassure and said pretty much what has been said here about everyone getting them at least once. Someone on my thread betted even the queen must have had 'em...I'm not sure that helped, but it made me laugh(albeit weakly)grin.

needanothername Thu 17-Sep-09 20:50:33

It's ok, honest. Phone your dr's surgery (you probably won't even need an appt) and ask for a prescription for your daughter, then you won't have to pay - iirc they give enough for the whole family.
The worst one for us was when my dd (now 9) was 3 and had them, and because her bot hurt she stopped pooing. Well, tried to. She quite literally became anally retentive. I had to go everywhere with her because, of course, it had to come out sometime. We got to a point wher we put her on the lav at bathtime and she wasn't allowed off until she'd performed. It was Hell. Get those worms treated!!!

needanothername Thu 17-Sep-09 20:51:42

Sorry, just re-read, it's not your daughter it's your niece.grin

meltedmarsbars Thu 17-Sep-09 20:55:47

Did none of you ever get worms as kids? The medicine in the '70s was a horrible sachet of revolting raspberry flavour stuff made into a milkshake. Bleuchh

You must treat ALL the family, even those in nappies!

fatsatsuma Thu 17-Sep-09 21:01:36

Ugghhh - that medicine/milkshake in the '70's was FOUL wasn't it? One of my absolute worst childhood memories is being forced to drink that stuff... I can still remember the taste now.

Hurrah for ovex!

TsarChasm Thu 17-Sep-09 21:09:28

Yes agree whoever invented Ovex does deserves a knighthood. Imagine that at the palace....arise Sir Ovexgrin

I went a little ott when we had our 'visitors'. I totally disregarded the Ovex dosage instructions and ate about three at once. Also I got hold of Citracidal(sp?) and drank gallons of it. Now that is hands down, no doubt, the most awful thing I've ever tasted. I've never tasted bleach but I bet it tastes like citracidal. Vile vile (and yet I was strangely grateful)

supersalstrawberry Thu 17-Sep-09 21:10:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ingles2 Thu 17-Sep-09 21:54:30

posting on this thread has bloody jinxed us I tell you...
Ds2 announced he had worms at dinner tonight <boak>
Thank god I have 3 packets of Ovex in the cupboard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now