Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Two bangs on the head in last few days seemed fine sent home from school do I see DR?

(11 Posts)
coolpersephone Wed 16-Sep-09 23:24:53

I seem to be forever at the DR atm with ds,7.
Last sat he fell flat off the swing[not high but no hands] in the park and as I caught the swing on the rebound so it wouldn't hit him,I picked him up and he said"what?"~a little dazed maybe for a few mins.He was a bit quiet for a few mins.
I took him for some water and he asked for an ice cream which we got,went straight home and was fine had a quiet pm no vomiting,headache,normal.I kept a close eye on him and asked him if he remembered falling and he can't so wondered if he was out for a second or so as I went to him[I was next to him on other swing].
However he was fine after and in school monday~ok a little quiet maybe then tuesday bumped heads with another boy~they were both sent home although they were ok,they wanted to sit quietly etc and the school sends all dcs home if they have a bump to the head.

He was fine went to the shop,played quietly at home.
Went to school today looked a bit tired when we were just going in so I mentioned he looked a little pale and to ring if need be and they did ring to get him after lunch as he wasn't himself,bit of a slight headache,tummy ache.
Took him home,absolutely fine laughing and playing no headaches[well very slight on his eye from the bump with friend] or anything.

SO do I now go to the GP tomorrow in case I have been remiss and missed something?

Or do I try again with school as he seems fine~he could be getting a cold I suppose which usually gives him a tummy ache but do you think I have done wrong not going with the knocks on the head and shall I go to the doctor tomorrow?

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Wed 16-Sep-09 23:29:48

I would phone NHS Direct and ask for their advice. Usually a nurse(?) takes all your details (and they have to ask some crazy ones) and they'll get a doctor to call you back.

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Wed 16-Sep-09 23:31:16

blush

That would be on 0845 4647.

coolpersephone Wed 16-Sep-09 23:40:07

Thanks for replying ~I dismissed the first bump as finished with on monday but as he has been sent home twice not sure if that is them being ultra cautious or becos I said to ring this morning.

I wasn't worried about him in the slightest this afternoon as he was absolutely fine but don't really want him to miss a morning at school for nothing and nhs direct ring back several hours later I think.

The local surgery would fit him in tomorrow but I think he'll be in there an hour and a half waiting and in the drs room 2 mins!

dither

TimothyTigerTuppennyTail Wed 16-Sep-09 23:50:06

I got a call back from NHS Direct in about 20mins when I used them. It depends how busy they are. Give them a call and ask how long the wait is, it might be less than the wait at the doctors!

coolpersephone Wed 16-Sep-09 23:55:12

Is it too late to ring them now?

<dim emoticon>

lavenderkate Wed 16-Sep-09 23:55:24

I would err on side of caution with kids and head bumps.
Spent many a late night in casualty with vomity child 6 hours later.
Give them a ring.

coolpersephone Wed 16-Sep-09 23:57:28

Stupidly,I was at the GP with him on monday on a pre booked review of asthma and didn't think to mention it as he had been ok and the GPs can get a bit cross if you bring all sorts of problems up at the same time.

lavenderkate Thu 17-Sep-09 00:02:32

No you can ring NHS direct now.
24/7 they'll answer the phone.

coolpersephone Thu 17-Sep-09 10:00:38

Thankyou

Decided to keep him off today as he doesn't feel quite himself and have squeezed into the surgery at 11.15 am.

He says he still has a mild headache,feels tired and has tummy ache.

Feel a bit of a fraud tbh as he is basically ok but I think I need the reassurance as he has had two bumps and been sent home twice.

coolpersephone Thu 17-Sep-09 13:34:41

Hi

The GP saw him and was excellent.

He thinks the fall off the swing caused a mild concussion the effects of which were then magnified by the second bump at school.

He checked his eye movements,back of his eyes,listened to his chest as he is also a bit wheezy today and checked his ears which had bulging drums~ a cold on the way too I think.

He is to stay off tomorrow till monday no sports/running next week and no vigorous sports 2 to 3 weeks to rest him and avoid another bump.

Thanks guys I feel a lot better about him nowsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now