Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

(8 Posts)
ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 16-Sep-09 20:49:55

Sorry,
DS2 is due to go into hospital and have his tonsils and adenoids out at the beginning of October.
We have seen the consultant at the hospital and he had no hesitation in saying that it needs to happen, Not a tonsilitis thing, just physical size and causing problems with sleep apnoea (possibly)he snores and gags when asleep and sleeps too much.

Anyway, DH has just said that he isn't sure about putting DS2 through a GA.
We had agreed that if the consultant didn't hesitate then we should do it.
Now I am feeling that the decision is all on my shoulders.
What do I do? Help!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Wed 16-Sep-09 22:32:54

bump?

Dysgu Wed 16-Sep-09 22:47:23

No real advice - although DD1 did have GA at the age of 3 weeks (which was still 5 weeks before her due date!) for an MRI to see what damage (luckily none permanent) she had received from a huge brain bleed.

She was absolutely fine - both from MRI and GA. Seeing her unconscious was awful and the whole thing was far worse for me than for her.

Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope someone comes by who can offer more information.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 17-Sep-09 08:07:16

I think you need to point out to dh that surgery is not done unless necessary. The improvements in his health are more important than anything else. hundreds of children are anaesthetised every day, anaesthetists have to pass lots of exams before they are allowed to do this (BF's DH is one). I am dreading this too, my dd probably needs grommits, we'll find out in October and we have the added worry of a language issue, neither me nor dh speak adequate german.
Tell him to get over himself and think of the wellbeing of his son.
Good luck.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Thu 17-Sep-09 12:24:27

thanks,
I think that MiL is very concerned and because of that he has started to question our decision.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking the decision seriously, but we didn't see a junior doctor, or a random bloke off the street, we saw the senior ENT surgeon at a large hospital. I wish DH would stop pretenting he knows better than the expert!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 17-Sep-09 12:59:30

Why is your MiL sticking her oar in? It really is nothing to do with her. Your dh is obviously an adult and able to make rational decisions himself. Tell her to fuck off.

Poledra Thu 17-Sep-09 13:05:52

The consultant is not going to put a child under general anaesthetic unless he thinks that the situation merits it. Obviously he does. Yes, every GA carries a small risk, but the risk:benefit ratio must be in favour of going ahead or the doctor Would Not Do It.

I had a GA when 31 wks pg with DD2. Not an ideal situation, but again, the benefit outweighed the risks.

Hope it all goes well for DS.

gingerbunny Thu 17-Sep-09 13:30:17

if you ds needs this op then it must be done. they do not and will not say it needs doing, if it doesn't.
your dh is probably nervous and worried about putting his ds through an op and he way of dealing with it, is to think he knows whats best. but he doesn't the docs do.
hundreds of children have this done every week and very few have problems.
hope your ds gets on ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now