Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

just noticed about 4 scabs on dd1's head-anyone know what could be causing them?

(17 Posts)
CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:05:33

I don't think they are itchy. They each seem to consist of 2 bumps and are a bit crusty...dh noticed one then felt around over her head and found a few more.

Is it something grim like ringworm?

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:23:38

blush I get these, always have, I just pick them off and they go away......

Christ, please don't someone come along and say it is something grim.

Though I have also had ringworm and it's nothing like that.

blametheparents Wed 16-Sep-09 20:27:54

Could it be impetigo?

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:29:19

grin
well i googled ringworm of the scalp and there was a very scary pic! so I want to act fast if it could possibly be something like that in its early stages...

do yours consist of 2 little bumps too wildthings?

tvfriend Wed 16-Sep-09 20:29:47

Sounds like Inpetigo- DD had a it a week ago. You will need to get antibiotics from your GP

tvfriend Wed 16-Sep-09 20:30:11

IMpetigo...

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:31:05

have never seen impetigo so I don't know...
we have just spent the weekend on a farm so am now worried she's caught something weird off a sheep or something
we were possibly not quite rigorous enough about hand-washing blush

CarGirl Wed 16-Sep-09 20:31:51

def not chicken pox spots? dd3 only had a few on her scalp that was it!

Also psorasis can look a bit like that too (dd4 afflicated with that)

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:34:43

nope, she's had chicken pox.

sounds like I need to get her to the GP tomorrow (although I think the surgery isn't open on a thursday grrr)

sounds like psorisis to me, ive had it for 6 years only on my scalp

screamingskull Wed 16-Sep-09 20:39:07

Could it not be midge bites, especially as you have been spending time at a farm?

CatIsSleepy Wed 16-Sep-09 20:43:06

could be bites i guess-will see how they look in the morning. I'd have thought they'd be itchy though-don't midge bites itch like buggery?

hope it's not psoriasis!

screamingskull Wed 16-Sep-09 20:47:12

not always, but if they are crusty your dd may have scratched them at the time without even realising.

good luck smile

LadyGooGoo Wed 16-Sep-09 20:52:43

My DS had these, think was midges. Seemed that his head was a little itchy but scabby things wern't there till after itchyness IYSWIM.

Sounds v disgusting but when you look at scabs, are they just dried blood or is there any yellow crystal stuff there too? When you're bitten by insects, the bites ooze a little clear fluid that dries to form a scabby bit.

Obviously if all yellow and smelly is infected and needs antibiotics, otherwise hairdresser advised rubbing bit of mint and teatree conditioner on scalp and pharmacist suggested adding Dettol to bath water - the smell of both discourage the midges apparently

PortBlacksandResident Wed 16-Sep-09 20:52:52

Have you changed her shampoo or used a different one while away? - could be an allergy to strong shampoo.

beatiebow Wed 16-Sep-09 20:53:23

My daughter just had similar to this. I thought it was impetigo but doctor thought it was exzema that had become infected (she has always had cradle cap on her head though she is five now). He prescribed fucidin h cream and they cleared up quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now