Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox in babies 6 M.O.??

(9 Posts)
ranirani Wed 16-Sep-09 17:54:52

is it possible for a 6,5 months old baby get a chicken pox? he has some funny blisters around his genitals, even on his penis, which was red before, but after couple of days putting sudocrem , the redness is gone, but the spots are still there. Could it be just a allregic reaction no nappies?? I looked on the net, could not find anything on how early babies can catch chicken pox. Thought going to the doctortoday, but my DH convinced to wait till tomorrow to see if it improves at all with sudocrem.
thanks for help x

nigglewiggle Wed 16-Sep-09 17:57:30

Could it be hand foot and mouth? Not as bad as it sounds. You can get blisters in nappy area and chicken pox would be more likely to be everywhere.

PrincessToadstool Wed 16-Sep-09 17:58:03

I think babies can catch chicken pox from birth, have you been in contact with anyone who's had it?

Are the blisters/spots spreading? IT could be a very mild case though. Have you googled for images to compare?

thisisyesterday Wed 16-Sep-09 17:58:27

they can yes.
but tbh if it was chicken pox you'd expect the spots to have spread all over him by now.

it[s probably just nappy rash

LIZS Wed 16-Sep-09 17:58:37

Yes even newborns can get cp , has he been exposed ? It could well be a nappy rash , perhaps fungal which needs a specific cream. CP tends to appear across head and body ratheh than be confined to specific area.

Tambajam Wed 16-Sep-09 18:00:25

It is certainly possible for a baby this young to get chicken pox. My daughter had them under 6 months (exclusively breastfed, I had had chicken pox). Newborns can get it.

Chicken pox blisters are quite distinctive. Before they scab over they have a little drop of moisture in the centre of them. Sometimes called dewdrop on a rose effect. They usually come in waves so you'd see new ones appearing on following days. They start very small and grow.

I would go to the doctor tomorrow. It is possible for chicken pox to stay very localized or for a baby to have a very mild case with only one or two spots but the redness doesn't sound typical.

Do you know if he has been exposed to someone with chicken pox?

ranirani Wed 16-Sep-09 18:16:20

thanks for the response , ladies. No, he hasn't been exposed, but then again we have a nanny and he is not the only child she looks after, God knows. Need to google foot and mouth, does sound gross though, hope it is not as bad as it sounds. I looked at the images for CP spots, our case could be it (There was a small clear bit of moisture in the spots in the beginning and then it disappeared), but it is not spreading wildly.... then again, my child seem to be always on a healthy side, never had any fever even after jabs ( touch wood). Although during last few days whenever he wakes up or in the middle of his sleep, he cries, which is not something he does usually.... I think i will go to the doctor tomorrow, because if it is a fungal rash, then it better to be treated straight away. Thank you again x

nigglewiggle Wed 16-Sep-09 19:24:31

Just check his mouth because when DD had HFM the first symptom was mouth ulcers - she had a mouthful. She just had one blister on her hand, but GP confirmed diagnosis. She wasn't otherwise unwell and it's actually really common and nothing to worry about.

nigglewiggle Thu 17-Sep-09 11:25:26

How is he today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now