Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

newborn hearing test - failed in one ear

(7 Posts)
forevermore Wed 16-Sep-09 12:18:22

my DD is 3 weeks and failed the 'new' hearing test in left ear. HV babbled on about possible water / wax due to csection but to be honest she was just trying to reassure me.

it hasn't worked and i am really upset. she has to go for further tests. the right ear was fine. DD1 is now 4 and didn't have these tests (they are new).

anyone experienced having 'failed' in one ear? what happened next.
TIA for your advice/words of wisdomsmile

Where I work babies are tested at only one or two days old and quite a few don't pass first time. 99.9% of those pass on the 2nd attempt. Fingers crossed for you, the odds are very much in your favour.

forevermore Wed 16-Sep-09 12:46:16

she was tested at 2 weeks then three weeks, right ear passed after lots of times trying (different ear fittings etc, it took about 15 mins) second ear failed twice now!sad so no whave to go to hospital for a more sophisticated test.

do you know if i could pay to get this done asap rather than waiting 2 weeks!

forevermore Wed 16-Sep-09 19:49:18

bump..anyone else?

Psychobabble Wed 16-Sep-09 19:55:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigstripeytiger Wed 16-Sep-09 19:59:10

My DD failed in one ear, but passed the second time.
Its pretty common for babies to fail in one or both ears if the test is done too soon, or if the baby has a cold.

runnervt Wed 16-Sep-09 21:46:44

Even on the next stage of testing it's still likely that her hearing will be fine in both ears. There are lots of possible reasons for not passing the screening test. IMO it's probably better to wait two weeks for the next test so that if there is fluid in her ear or if she has a bit of a cold then it has a chance to clear before she is tested again. If you're still worried you could phone the department where she's to be tested and discuss it with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now