Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

14mo with intermimttent D & V - any ideas??

(6 Posts)
JoandMax Tue 15-Sep-09 20:42:49

Hi everyone,

Last Thursday my DS woke up with a temperature, gave calpol and nurofen which reduced it. He was very lethargic, no appetite etc. Saw doctor who checked ears, throat and no sign of infection.

He was sick after his milk before bed and fitful sleep. Friday pretty much the same but cheered up mid afternoon and had some tes so we thought he was over the worst. Then was sick again at 10pm in his cot. Then started to have a horrid upset tummy and generally very grumpy and listless. Carried on like this until yesterday morning when he had some toast and his tummy settled a bit, no more sickness etc. Slept reasonable well last night and took a feed fine this morning. He ate a little bit of breakfast and lunch and this afternoon was completely like his usual self, running around and smiling lots.

He ate a nice tea, had a lovely bath, took his milk before bed as normal and then projectiled everywhere.........

He keeps on seeming like he's getting better than being sick again yet isn't sick all the time. I rang my sister who is a GP and she said if he's keeping something in sometimes and not dehydrated then to just ride it out but I'm worried it's been 6 days now. He's not a very big boy anyway and looks really skinny.

Has anyone else's DCs had this? How long should I expect it to last and is there anything I can give him to help?

Thanks

BlueBumedFly Tue 15-Sep-09 21:14:18

We had this with DD. She would be sick every second night for a week or so then repeat the bug every 2-3 weeks. It just did not seem to shift, like she was reinfecting. I was told to do the following and it worked:

Most important -probiotics. Genius move, I used infant acidophilus for a month and now give it after any upset. You will find his immune system has been supressed as the gut has been stripped of all good bacteria. Unless you replace the good bugs he has nothing to fight with.

Throw away any toothbrushes/chew rings etc. They will only serve to reinfect.

Clean his highchair painstakingly with a seriously good cleaning fluid. Bugs hide here! I took mine into the garden and used the hose!

Clean all toys with Milton or similar and wash all soft toys. It is amazing how rarely you end up wiping toys down I found. Or maybe that is just me!

Anyhow, once the probiotics kicked in she kicked the bug. She also had reflux so it was a real challenge!!

Good luck, hope he shakes it off soon xx

BlueBumedFly Tue 15-Sep-09 21:17:53

We had this with DD. She would be sick every second night for a week or so then repeat the bug every 2-3 weeks. It just did not seem to shift, like she was reinfecting. I was told to do the following and it worked:

Most important -probiotics. Genius move, I used infant acidophilus for a month and now give it after any upset. You will find his immune system has been supressed as the gut has been stripped of all good bacteria. Unless you replace the good bugs he has nothing to fight with.

Throw away any toothbrushes/chew rings etc. They will only serve to reinfect.

Clean his highchair painstakingly with a seriously good cleaning fluid. Bugs hide here! I took mine into the garden and used the hose!

Clean all toys with Milton or similar and wash all soft toys. It is amazing how rarely you end up wiping toys down I found. Or maybe that is just me!

Anyhow, once the probiotics kicked in she kicked the bug. She also had reflux so it was a real challenge!!

Good luck, hope he shakes it off soon xx

JoandMax Tue 15-Sep-09 21:44:51

Thanks, will get some probiotics for him tomorrow. Where did you get them?

He was sick just the once last weekend too, had forgotten but now you mention your DD getting it every couple of weeks it definitely sounds the same........

Have just had a massive dettol fest and cleaned anything and everything I can find! Plus all towels, sheets on a 90 degree wash.

It's so horrible when they're ill, I'd do anything to make him better........

BlueBumedFly Wed 16-Sep-09 20:56:50

I know what you mean. I got my Acidophilus in the health food shop, it was power that I can dissolve in her milk so no taste.

I was horrified that I could have been to blame for 'reinfecting' - I think I keep things pretty clean but when the doc told me that I almost died of shame!

Good luck, hope he is better very soon.

Just for the record once the S&D was over I also gave a dose of vitamins every night (Dalivit) they are drops so no taste again. V good.

BlueBumedFly Wed 16-Sep-09 20:57:39

Sorry, powder not power!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now