Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

worrying about dd (3.6) after bad asthma attack

(3 Posts)
hazeyjane Tue 15-Sep-09 11:01:14

She was diagnosed with asthma when she was just over a year old, because of recurrent chest infections and bad night-time cough.

Last week she had an asthma attack and we ended up at hospital, she was nebulised several times and given a short but strong course of liquid steroids.

She is ok now and went back to preschool today, but I just get a horrible fearful feeling in my chest when ever i think about it happening again (especially as she has just started school).

I guess I'm just new to this (she had been signed off from the asthma consultant and now we are having to keep back ups of steroids in the house in case it happens again). I'm just so worried for her, and can't shake this feeling of fear for her.

We are going to see the asthma nurse next week, has anyone got any other ideas of anything I could do, to help me feel a bit more in control of the situation.

Thankyou

GivePeasAChance Tue 15-Sep-09 11:04:51

It is horrible when they are so young. DS1 from 2 to 4 had horrific asthma and frequent hospitalisations.

Then we got rid of our cats. And he has never had an attack or even a wheeze since (how bad did I feel??).

It may not be cats with you. But it is worth exploring the allergy route - there is often something that triggers the asthma?

DS1 is allergic to cats, dogs and animals in general, along with peanuts and almonds. I suspect there are more - I think he doesn't do well on wheat for example.........but it is an ongoing project !
Good luck and I totally feel your pain.

hazeyjane Tue 15-Sep-09 11:34:13

Thankyou Givepeasachance (your name reminds me of a lovely photo of John Peel wearing a tshirt for the vegetarian society)

Did you have any allergy testing for your ds?

I am going to pick her up now, and give her a very big hug.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now