Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Circumcision?

(5 Posts)
wonderingwondering Mon 14-Sep-09 18:28:50

DS is 5 - no infections or soreness but I noticed his foreskin seems quite tight and doesn't retract yet. Is that normal at his age?

choosyfloosy Mon 14-Sep-09 18:31:30

What does his doctor say?

[http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/childrenshealth/202647.html This]] suggests leaving it provided he's not having any problems weeing.

I'd say circumcision is absolutely a last resort (and my ds is circumcised).

wonderingwondering Mon 14-Sep-09 18:35:41

I can't work the link. I haven't been to the GP as I don't know if it is a problem or not. I tried googling and it said by 5 they should be able to retract it. But I did think circumcision was a last resort, just wondered whether they wait for problems (like weeing) or do it routinely. DH had to have it done when young, so is no help on the subject!

Furball Mon 14-Sep-09 19:20:58

It's normal - they all seperate from the glans at different ages.

I've copied this paragraph from a website.

It is usual for the foreskin to be non-retractable in the early years of life, even up to age 8-10 years. There is wide variability in terms of the age at which retraction occurs. Until complete retraction occurs, episodes of redness, smegma collections and ballooning of the foreskin are very common and can be managed symptomatically. Frequently, reassurance is all that is required.

wonderingwondering Mon 14-Sep-09 20:21:59

Thanks. I was a bit wary of googling! But that is reassuring, I won't dash off to the GP just yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now