Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How sore is a boken leg supposed to be over a week after the injury occured?

(10 Posts)
PinkTulips Mon 14-Sep-09 13:25:21

dd broke her leg on the 5th, had a half cast til the 7th and has been in a full cast since then.

She's telling me alot the last couple of days that it's 'very, very sore'.... hard to judge how bad it is as she has a freakishly high pain threshold but for the first few days after the cast went on she told me it was 'better' but now claims it's as bad as when she broke it.

OrmIrian Mon 14-Sep-09 13:27:15

Hmmm... IME once the cast is on there is very little pain. I would ring the hospital for advice. Is it the cast itself that is hurting I wonder?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

3littlefrogs Mon 14-Sep-09 13:32:37

Take her back now. She may have complications if this is new onset pain. Please.

PinkTulips Mon 14-Sep-09 13:55:21

She says it's hurting at the point it was broken, she also makes a pulsing movement with her hand to describe it so i'm guessing it's a throbbing pain.... which could be it kitting together right?

Hospital isn't an easy option, over an hour away and my car is in the garage.

She's a bit grumpy but mostly fine and i'm not sure if she's playing up the pain to get more medicine.... she's a tad obsessed with taking medicine blush

I gave her neurofen this morning and she's still saying it hurts.... when i gave her neurofen on the day it happened she was trying to walk on it and laughing it worked so well.... so either the pain is so bad neurofen hasn't affected it at all or she's not really in pain at all, just looking for medicine

Ali4cotswolds Mon 14-Sep-09 14:17:53

I would give her regular pain relief, keep her leg elevated (foot should be higher than her bottom) if that doesn't work it may be due to a plaster problem in which case I would ring them and explain what has been happening and take her back.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Mon 14-Sep-09 15:07:44

check her toes

are they pink and warm ?

press the pad of her big toe, does it blanch and then go pink again at the same rate as the other ?

it is unusual to start complaining of pain again. The plaster may be too tight or the have shifted/caved a bit, or (unusually, do not panic) the fracture has displaced again

give it another 24 hrs with regular pain relief and plenty of distractions. If no better, I suggest a trip to A+E or fracture clinic

PinkTulips Mon 14-Sep-09 16:18:40

toes good, warm and pink but not hot and she can wiggle them fine. Have been prodding them several times a day and they've always been fine.

Pain seems to be just at the break, the fracture wasn't displaced at the time so hopefully not much chance of it displacing now [worried]

She's been moving around alot more the last couple of days, she won't stay on the couch for any length of time as she's discovered scooting around on her bum and can get off the couch by herself so possibly she's just aggravated it with too much movement... have given her the DS and told her to stay put for a while. If that doesn't ease the pain i'll see what the hospital can do, have to have her there on wednesday for a kidney scan anyway (unrelated) so if there isn't any improvement i'll ask fracture clinic to see her then.

PinkTulips Mon 14-Sep-09 16:20:11

Thanks all by the way.... hopefully i'm just reading too much into a 4 year olds complaining, i mean it should be throbbing a bit if it's healing so maybe it's just that she's feeling... she's a funny one with pain, seems to complain more about the minor stuff than the really big things

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now