Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Swollen tummy, pains and pale diarrhea / poo

(4 Posts)
looseleaf Sat 12-Sep-09 17:03:42

Hi,

Our dd was diagnosed with coeliac disease when we took her to hospital as our gp seemed to be ignoring it (had told me to come back in 3 months for allergy tests when dd was no longer getting out of her pushchair or able to climb stairs) and they took blood tests to confirm but we're still waiting results.

Our gp still says that she's extremely unlikely to have coeliac disease (no idea why as these symptoms do seem to suggest it's at least a possibility) but offered no other suggestions.

I saw on a previous thread that it could be a virus called Giardiasis but how do I know? And will things be clear after the blood tests or will a gut biopsy be important (our gp certainly won't suggest it so I hope not something I need to find out about)

Thanks for any ideas if anyone's had anything similar.
Our dd is 2 1/2 and for what it's worth, symptoms started as soon as I stopped breastfeeding

Elibean Sat 12-Sep-09 22:46:13

Can't help, but bumping for you.

Did you switch to cow's milk as soon as you stopped bf-ing?

LittleMissNorty Sat 12-Sep-09 22:52:11

Have you been referred by your GP to see a paed? If not, you should so push for a referral. I think there is a non-invasive test for giardiasis, but not sure if its suitable for children.

Good luck x

looseleaf Sun 13-Sep-09 08:13:29

Thanks for bumping and for your help.

dd hates milk so there was no change in her diet except for losing Mummy milk; she's always seemed fine with butter and yoghurt and we cut all lactose out for a week to hopefully rule out lactose intolerance.

That's a good idea to ask for a paed - thanks and I'll do this tomorrow when we go in again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now