Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby toothpaste needed for 9 month old?

(7 Posts)
2catsand1rabbit Fri 11-Sep-09 16:09:57

My Ds is 9 months old and has 2 teeth. Should I start brushing them with a baby toothpaste or is adults okay? I live in South Oxfordshire (don't think we have fluoride added).
Also, is there a particular toothbrush that anyone would recommend?

HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 16:11:50

Use the milk teeth variety (or similar) as it has lower levels of flouride. Too much flouride can lead to the teeth becoming discoloured. You only need a tiny smear of it.

I used a finger brush for ds at this stage, don't know why, it felt more natural I guess. He was happy with a soft toothbrush too though, but he did love to gnaw on my finger with the finger brush on

sausagerolemodel Fri 11-Sep-09 16:12:52

Aquafresh do a milk teeth toothpaste which they say is fine from 3 months, and Dentinox do one which is (I think) fluoride free and comes with its own little silicon toothbrush that you put on the end of your finger.

2catsand1rabbit Fri 11-Sep-09 16:27:55

Thanks for the responses, but I thought they needed 1000ppm of fluoride?

HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 16:33:01

they only need 1000ppm of flouride if they have cavities or need extra protection against tooth decay. Otherwise it's 500ppm

Adult toothpastes often have up to 1500ppm

Seona1973 Fri 11-Sep-09 16:42:48

some of the kids ones have 1000ppm in them e.g. the aquafresh milk teeth one (0-3 years) is now 1000ppm. We have used the morrisons kids toothpaste for dd and ds and it is also 1000ppm. Ds got a toothbrush and toothpaste from the hv and it is also 1000ppm. Just use a smear to avoid using too much and you will be fine.

purpleduck Fri 11-Sep-09 16:51:40

The health food stores should have a child's flouride free one - Wella I believe does one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now