Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds1 aged 5 has nits - what do I do next?

(5 Posts)
oooggs Thu 10-Sep-09 20:52:42

There are 6 of us, dh and I, ds1 (5), dd (2.5), ds2 (2.5) & ds3 (7mths)

Noticed this evening that ds1 has nits - never been faced with this before, what shall I use? Any recommendations please?

Do you still comb through with one of those combs my mum used?

bran Thu 10-Sep-09 20:57:36

I found Hedrin the easiest solution. I couldn't get DS (or DH) to sit still for the Nitty Gritty comb. hmm It's a bit expensive though, you might need more than one bottle to treat the whole family.

McDreamy Thu 10-Sep-09 21:00:58

Nitty gritty comb is the best ( if you can use it - poor you bran)

DD had them just before the summer holidays, the pharmacist said to only treat those that have live lice. You need to treat and then comb and comb again periodically until you are clear.

I still comb DD's through once a week with a nit comb and lots of conditioner. We have been nit free since but it's only the first week back!

elliepac Thu 10-Sep-09 21:06:56

I will second hedrin because it really does work without combing. Good old conditioner and a nit comb works as well but all depends on whether you have DC's that can sit still.

taokiddy Thu 10-Sep-09 21:21:40

I have four kids too and you really need to nip it in the bud before they all get them. Two summers ago they all had them for weeks. I tried every lotion going and spent a fortune. The only thing that works imo is slathering on the conditioner, sticking on a reliable DVD and combing and combing them out. Got a 'Nit Free' comb with twirly bits in the middle which really gets them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now