Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

wasp sting

(8 Posts)
shelleylou Thu 10-Sep-09 11:31:43

ds has just been stung by a wasp what should i do/look out for?

mosschops30 Thu 10-Sep-09 11:33:25

put it in vinegar hmm no idea why, just old wives tale.

keep an eye out for any anaphylactic reaction: problems breathing, rash, swelling of the face or throat etc.

shelleylou Thu 10-Sep-09 11:34:37

it stung him on his face sad

BertieBotts Thu 10-Sep-09 11:35:37

How old is he?

If you are breastfeeding, applying breast milk works to neutralise the sting. Other than that I think tea helps but DON'T take my word for it, I always get bee and wasp stings confused (one is acid, the other alkaline, you need the opposite to counteract it)

If he's old enough give him something sugary, like chocolate! And lots of cuddles (any age!)

I think if you are meaning watching for signs of allergy it will be swelling or breathlessness. It should be quite obvious.

BertieBotts Thu 10-Sep-09 11:38:11

Aw Hope he is ok. My little brother got stung on the eye when he was about 3 months old - that's when I learnt about the breastmilk thing! My stepmum really panicked and rang NHS direct and everything but he was absolutely fine once he had calmed down.

Please google before trying the vinegar/tea thing because of the acid/alkaline reason - if you get it the wrong way around it will sting even worse

shelleylou Thu 10-Sep-09 11:43:02

its about a centremetre away from his eye. It has come up in a lump and bit blotchy round his cheek but think thats a normal reaction. No bees about so must have been a wasp. DS is 2.10. Hes got a cold compress on his sting had piriton and lots of cuddles and milk.

BertieBotts Thu 10-Sep-09 11:43:04

OK have just googled and bee stings are acid, wasp stings alkaline so anything acidic like tea (weak acid) - dab with a cold used teabag or watered down vinegar/lemon juice.

It says allergic reactions can begin anything up to 30 minutes after the sting so not too long to watch him. I'm sure it will be fine

shelleylou Thu 10-Sep-09 11:48:46

im sure he will be aswell. He seams happy enough and isnt really complaining of any pain now. The rock lolly might be helping with that though grin Just didnt have a clue of what i should do with them. I haven been stung in years. This is why i hate the damn things lol.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now