Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD (7) has adult front teeth behind her baby teeth - help!

(8 Posts)
bratnav Wed 09-Sep-09 14:57:21

We have been to see the orthodontist who has referred us back to the dentist to have between 2 and 6 of her milk teeth removed to make room as they aren't budging on their own.

She recommended not saying anything to DD and letting the dentist deal with it hmm

Does anyone have sny experience of this, how awful is the procedure and do they have a GA for it?

GrapefruitMoon Wed 09-Sep-09 15:01:09

I would ask for a second opinion tbh - my dd had the same problem and the orthodontist was happy to wait for the baby teeth to fall out on their own - which they did and her adult teeth are absolutely fine, she won't need braces (she's 12 now)

bratnav Wed 09-Sep-09 15:04:31

DD has had both for over 6 months now, how long an overlap was there with you?

I rfeally hate the idea of extraction for her

Sorry for typos, feeding nwe DS

GrapefruitMoon Wed 09-Sep-09 15:07:01

Oh much longer than that, couple of years till all the baby teeth fell out (last molar was recently). Think it was the canines which were most obvious in terms of overlap

thehairybabysmum Wed 09-Sep-09 15:09:21

I had 2 lots of 4 teeth out at a time when i was young, first time to make room tehn 2nd time for a brace.

It didnt hurt due to local A but wasnt the most pleasant experience. I think they would do a GA maybe if you ask but only at a hospital. GA has increased risks.

twinklytoes Wed 09-Sep-09 20:59:58

dd1 has had two teeth removed under GA. It was worst for me than her tbh (had to hold her whilst GA went in). there was panic when she came round and saw bleeding but otherwise recovered really well. we were on the childrens ward for 6hrs max.

Errrnonymous Wed 09-Sep-09 21:01:32

If she keeps both sets for a long time, there will be an area where she can't clean very well (the overlap) which will stimulate decay.

bratnav Wed 09-Sep-09 22:41:08

Thanks all for replying, I think I will talk to the dentist again, I am not convinced either way.

I am so worried about doing the right thing sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now