Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd (almost 6) astigmatism- is this really bad???

(11 Posts)
Bucharest Wed 09-Sep-09 14:02:12

Dd just been prescribed glasses for "quite severe astigmatism" (-3.50 or something? although optician has given me prescription for -2.50)
I've been told that she should wear the glasses for tv, computer, close work etc (although she is also long-sighted apparently)Optician said something about age 11 or 12 and the sight correcting itself, but then googling (I know, I know) I read that unless the sight is corrected before the age of 6 it's all doom and gloom....
Anyone else with children this age just diagnosed?
I have astigmatism and have always been a glasses/lenses wearer....

PlumBumMum Wed 09-Sep-09 14:06:34

My dd has other eye problems, but I was also told she had this in one of her eyes, to be honest I was told it was due to her surgeries and that it mean't her eye was the shape of a rugby ball instead of a sphere, I never qustioned them anymore about it at the time so sorry thats not really any helpblush

PlumBumMum Wed 09-Sep-09 14:17:56

Sorry just read that back and it really wasn't helpful,
but remembered that the doctor said she would always need glasses but because she was going to need glasses anyway after her other surgeries I didn't quiz him that much,

mumof2222222222222222boys Wed 09-Sep-09 14:36:59

I am sorry i don't know about children - but I have worn specs from age of 8, and am severely astigmatic. To be honest it hasn't caused me any problems (contact lenses are fine). Do whatever the optician advises - but not the end of the world.

Good luck.

Madsometimes Wed 09-Sep-09 14:39:10

My dd has astigmatism, it was detected at age 4. She is now 9 and still needs glasses. I think some children do grow out of this, but there are no guarantees.

Sorry I do not know much more than this. All I can say is that in my dd's class there are lots of children that wear glasses. Astigmatism has not held her back in any way. She would prefer not to wear glasses, but understands that she needs them.

clayre Wed 09-Sep-09 14:39:49

ds sounds similar to PlumBumMum's dd without the other eye problems, i was told he will always wear glasses, as do i for the same problems, like plumBumMum i didnt really question it either.

lucykate Wed 09-Sep-09 14:50:05

dd has a lazy eye, astigmatism and poor vision (her prescription is a +6 on the left and a +5 on the right), she has to wear her glasses all the time. we've had to do patching for the lazy eye too. despite dd's eyes, i have to admit to not knowing that much about astigmatisms blush

dd's fine about her glasses, she's just got spongebob ones.

we have a spectacle mountain at home!

BoredShitlessbytheDailyMail Wed 09-Sep-09 14:53:52

DD is 8 and we were told she has severe astigmatism when she was 6. I think her prescription is now -3.0, not sure it gets worse every six months!
Her dad has terrible vision so tbh I never really questioned it, she needs glasses and she probably will for the rest of her life. Just one of those things I thought. <terrible mother>

Sparks Wed 09-Sep-09 15:04:17

It's in relation to lazy eye that the sight needs to be corrected before the age of 6. My dd had to do the whole patching routine. It has to do with neurological development, not the shape of the eye/lens as with astigmatism.

My dd is now 10 and her long sight has gone. Eye doctor said most children have some degree of long sight and most grow out of it. The same is not true for astigmatism.

Bucharest Thu 10-Sep-09 12:32:45

Thanks very much for all replies, Dd is loving her trendy specs and is already wearing them more than I expected her to...I was just confused (mainly by googling blush) which seemed to contradict what the optician said....

amtooyoungforthis Thu 10-Sep-09 12:43:58

I don't think it is the astigmastism that the google is refering too. astigmatism means the eye isn't a perfect sphere, more oval. I have this but I also have very 'flat' eyes which means I can't use off the shelf contact lenses. I think this is always with you regardless of age

Having a lazy eye that isn't corrected/helped before age 6/7 is where the problems are I believe

I was told if son hadn't had his specs, his bad eye could/would just switch off. His was found by chance as he didn't have a squint at all. His eyesight has improved and he has gone from wearing his glasses all the time as they helped, to rarely wearing them now, as he copes just fine. He still has astigmatism but both eyes now work together

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now