Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

21 month old smelly urine

(3 Posts)
nellynaemates Wed 09-Sep-09 08:35:43

Not particularly worried, just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone could enlighten me!

I had to leave work yesterday to pick 21 month old son up from nursery, he had a temp of about 39 and was really lethargic and wouldn't eat. He basically slept for most of the day yesterday, he managed to eat some custard and a wee bit of toast and drunk a reasonable amount of water.

I always give him a cup of water into his cot with him and this morning it was almost finished so he's also drunk overnight. This morning when I took his nappy off there was a really weird smell (just pee) and it wasn't a strong urine smell, it's different.

Any ideas what it could be? He said poo-poo sore (he often says poo-poo instead of pee-pee though) so I asked him if his bottom was sore – yes – if his willy was sore – yes! But he does like saying yes. Basically he's not the most reliable witness He seems a lot better today (appetite back etc.) but I'm keeping him off nursery to allow him to recover.

Could it be a UTI or something?

campion Wed 09-Sep-09 17:36:53

It could be something along those lines, if not an infection. Boys can get them too. DS1 had this problem periodically from about 3 to 8 - even ended up in hospital once with stubborn high temperature. Ultrasound of kidneys showed nothing ( apart from kidneys!) and he just 'grew out of it' though had quite a few antibiotics along the way.

There was never a definitive diagnosis and no obvious cause. Maybe speak to your doctor?

alypaly Wed 09-Sep-09 19:47:25

sounds like a urine infection,keep your eye on it as they often need antibiotics

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now