Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds has first ear infection - what should I expect?

(5 Posts)
nickytwotimes Tue 08-Sep-09 19:18:23

He is 3 and just started nnursery. He has never really been unwell before, luckily, but poor thing had a high temp and pain. Got antibiotics this afternoon and he is not as bad as during the night - main problem is knackeredness as he can't sleep. Can anyone tell me their tales of the joys of ear ibfections?

Littlefish Tue 08-Sep-09 19:19:55

Have you tried giving him paracetemol and nurofen alternately. We always found that paracetemol on its own didn't help but when we gave nurofen, it kept dd's temperature down and helped her to sleep.

LIZS Tue 08-Sep-09 19:23:40

Pain relief ie Nurofen as it is also anti inflammatory. If he is congested try a vaporiser or something like Olbas oil. Could take a few days to feel better but he doesn't need to stay off nursery once he's ok in himself.

choufleur Tue 08-Sep-09 19:24:03

ditto littlefish's comment. give nurofen and paracetemol

nickytwotimes Tue 08-Sep-09 19:30:49

Yes, ibuprofen has helped him feel a bit perkier this afternoon, so I have stocked up. The GP sat there telling me how paracetamol is better (a statement for which he lacked any clinical basis!) despite me finding it useless this morning. Fat forward a few hours and I gave him ibuprofen and 20 minutes later he was playing again! I have been giving them both alternately, but jeez, getting that kid to take anyy meds is a nightmare. Nice to get a bit of back up there from fellow mners. grin

I am hoping he gets back to nursery very soon, perhaps even tomorrow if he is well enough in himself, as he only started 2 weeks ago and also started getting the nursery taxi on Monday. So many changes for the wee soul, I want things to be consistent, iyswim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now