Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS recovered from tummy bug but poo still smelling funny [TMI alert!]

(3 Posts)
artifarti Tue 08-Sep-09 18:12:13

DS (12 months) had a tummy bug last weekend - vomited once and then had mild diarrhoea for a couple of days and no appetite. I took advice from the Dr who said to feed him normally when he'd eat. He's been better since about last Thursday, eating like a horse, quite happy, normal poo-ing (1-3 a day) but the poos smell horrendous (very cheesy)! Does this sound usual?! They really are gross...

belgo Tue 08-Sep-09 18:15:08

The bacteria in his gut needs a chance to return to normal. Usually the advice is no diary for a few days, (you can still breastfeed if you are bfing); and stick to a BRAT diet -bread, bananas,rice, apple and toast - nothing rich or spicy.

artifarti Tue 08-Sep-09 18:30:22

Thanks belgo - that is what I did last week, as I thought it was pretty standard for bad tums. But the GP then told me it's not recommended anymore for babies and I should feed him normally including dairy. (He'd also lost weight and was starting to refuse my bland offerings such as toast, mash and poached chicken).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now