Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does everybody give their child equazen fish oil or am I wasting money?

(18 Posts)
kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 08-Sep-09 11:29:17

DD has always had enormous problems concentrating and she started taking the omega 3/6 capsules about 3 years ago. From my observations, virtually every child in her class does too. I am beginning to wonder if it is a waste of money though I am reluctant to stop in case I have to start with the six a day loading dose all over again.
Any views or experience happily received.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Tue 08-Sep-09 11:31:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 08-Sep-09 11:34:29

I use it with one of my 4. I orignally used it with ds1, who has sn, and it helped him a lot. I stopped as he got older, as I didn't feel he needed it any more.

I'm now giving it to ds2, because he is very lively, finds it hard to settle, flaps all the time, is obsessive. Not noticed any real benefit yet.

I wouldn't bother if there werent any issues to start with.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Tue 08-Sep-09 11:35:36

I've never given mine fish oils. They are 6 and 3 and have perfectly fine concentration levels for their ages smile

PortAndLemon Tue 08-Sep-09 11:38:27

I've never given mine fish oil, although they do eat a balanced diet including fish (of course, then I worry about heavy metal toxicity... sigh...)

nigglewiggle Tue 08-Sep-09 11:38:39

I heard that the trial was based on children with diagnosed behavioural problems, so there is no evidence to prove that fish oils can improve the brain function of children without pre-existing conditions.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Tue 08-Sep-09 11:40:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bubblagirl Tue 08-Sep-09 11:40:40

i used these with my ds who has ASD and it was the small improvements that counted and he came along great while on them we still use them although not every day now as his improved hugely i just give 4 a day if ive forgotten for few days he starts school thurs and i will make sure he has them every day then

i also add a lot of omega 3 to his diet and he eats good varied food also

sherby Tue 08-Sep-09 11:43:56

It really does make a diff to children who are lacking in 3/6 in their diets.

However you can get the same results feeding your children good quality eggs (free range, chickens fed on a good seed diet) and fish

claricebeansmum Tue 08-Sep-09 11:47:42

hanaflower - you are right.

I urge anyone intending to give fish oil supplements to their children because they think it will improve their child's concentration to read Ben Goldacre's Bad Science. It points out exactly why there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that backs up any claims that fish oil improves concentration.

In fact there is very little evidence that any supplements, vitamins etc do any good at all. In some cases they can do harm.

puddock Tue 08-Sep-09 11:51:51

Never been properly tested.
For more on the extreme dodginess of the Durham trial, see:
http://www.badscience.net/category/fish-oil/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/27/ medicalresearch

puddock Tue 08-Sep-09 11:52:28

xposted with you CBM!

JulesJules Tue 08-Sep-09 12:24:14

I was going to suggest
Bad Science
too. It's a good read smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 08-Sep-09 12:51:48

Brilliant, I'm actually *reading bad science at the moment but never thought to look in it. TBH, she has such a poor diet that she'd never get any of the essential oils, she seldome eats eggs, never chicken but does occasionally eat fish. I think I'll carry on until they run out.
*reading the odd chapter, you can't read it like a novel.

Sazisi Wed 09-Sep-09 14:24:42

Bad Science states there has never been a proper trial on the effects of fish oils on 'normal' children; am I right in thinking this implies there has been a proper trial on the effects on 'non-normal' children?

I ask because I spend a small fortune on Eskimo Kids for DD2 who has aspergers, and would rather not piss what little money we have away pointlessly (I give it to her not to give her an academic edge, but to help with her mood swings etcetera)

cheesesarnie Wed 09-Sep-09 14:33:14

i like the idea but cant find a veggie alternative to try!

i think ds1 would benifit hugely if all the hype is true!

Sazisi Wed 09-Sep-09 14:36:13

cheesesarnie Udo's Choice is veggie I think? Can get it in healthfood shops

cheesesarnie Sat 12-Sep-09 21:13:00

thanks saz,will look into it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now