Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD's breath smells like pear drops - do I need to worry?

(10 Posts)
CharCharGabor Mon 07-Sep-09 15:41:53

She's had a tummy bug for the past three days but only has vomiting/diarrhoea in the mornings. She's off her food and I am having to really encourage her to drink. She has perked up slightly this afternoon but spent this morning lying on the couch fairly miserable. I've just given her a cuddle and her breath smells really strongly of pear drops. I've looking it up and it says it's a symptom of ketosis. Do I need to do anything, or is this just a normal effect of tummy bugs? TIA

noddyholder Mon 07-Sep-09 15:42:56

I would keep her really well hydrated and if it is still there in a few days go to the docs.Dehydration def can cause that smell

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 15:44:02

everyones breath honks when they are ill

WowOoo Mon 07-Sep-09 15:44:08

Have not googled ketosis yet but pear drops sounds nice to me. My ds' stinks of garlic.blush

WowOoo Mon 07-Sep-09 15:47:33

From what i just googled, I wouldn't be too concerned. Would just do what noddy suggests and perhaps offer some plain food too.

CharCharGabor Mon 07-Sep-09 15:48:16

Thanks for your answers, I'll keep pushing the fluids and see how she goes. Her breath just smelt a bit stale and ill before but now it's so sickly. She's begging for food so I'm going to try her with a bit of pasta and see how she goes. Thanks again.

nigglewiggle Mon 07-Sep-09 15:48:23

Yes it's normal. DD1's breath smelled like this after about 4-5 days of vomiting. The GP even commented on it. I took her in because I was worried about the length of time she had gone without food (she was only about 11 months). The GP said the she would not be concerned unless the child became listless and unresponsive. Advice was to keep her hydrated.

Hope your DD is better soon.

nigglewiggle Mon 07-Sep-09 15:51:12

I found rice pudding went down well (and stayed down grin).

CharCharGabor Mon 07-Sep-09 15:54:56

Thanks for the tip Am glad she's gone off for a potter, she reeks grin She's been asking for food but when it's in front of her she doesn't touch it so will see how she is tonight.

skybright Mon 07-Sep-09 15:59:17

The sweet smelling ketosis is a symptom of diabetes.

Your little girl just sounds like she has pongy ill related breath that we all get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now