Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My DS age 8 has two lumps on the back of his head, any ideas ?

(8 Posts)
Flossydrop Sun 06-Sep-09 20:45:19

My son has two lumps on the back of his head. The are symetrical, hard lumps around the size of a 20p. They are around 1 inch above the hair line.

I googled glands and have seen that people do have glands in the back of their head, which I never knew.

Should I be worried ? Any ideas what the cause should be.

He seems 100% fine in himself but says they are sore (he didn't mention them until bedtime though so can't be that bad !)

Any advice or experience really appreciated, I am not a major worrier usually but this seems to have freaked me a bit !

Thanks

Twinsmommy Sun 06-Sep-09 20:51:33

Sounds like these could be sebacious cysts. Are they actually in his hair?

My husband recently went to the doctor with a lump on the front of his head - in his hair right at the front. He says it is sometimes sore and other times not. Doctor said sebacious cyst. Would get them checked out just in case, but no real treatment apart from having them removed if they are really uncomfortable, which can leave scars.

Flossydrop Sun 06-Sep-09 20:53:29

Yes they are actually in his hair. I wonder if they would be cysts for the fact they are exactly the same size and symetrical ?

Think I will take him to the docs tomorrow to be sure.........

Twinsmommy Sun 06-Sep-09 21:16:57

Yes - hubby's is symmetrical. The longer his hair is, the less you notice it. And it just came from nowhere. Hope things go OK tomorrow. Try not to worry.

Twinsmommy Sun 06-Sep-09 21:18:33

Hubby's, I might add, is about the size of a 10 pence piece!

Milliways Sun 06-Sep-09 21:22:06

I have a lump like a large marble on the back of my head. I noticed it had appeared when I could no longer lie in the bath and put my head against the back.

GP had it X-rayed just to be sure, and it is a bone growth! Just grew. However, no blood supply to it or anything sinister so I just live with it now (although kids hate it if they touch it).

Flossydrop Sun 06-Sep-09 21:25:48

Thanks for the replies, I will get it checked out to put my mind at rest.

joyjoyjoy Sun 06-Sep-09 21:30:20

my baby has got a viral infection (roseola) and doc examined him - found 2 lumps either side on back of head - they are swollen glands - size of a pea...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now