Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is it possible for a three year old to break their nose?

(5 Posts)
imalwaysatthehospital Sun 06-Sep-09 19:14:49

My DD pulled on the oven (it was off, I had my back turned on her in the kitchen and was on the phone...) and the bar across the door hit her straight across the bridge of her nose.

I put ice on it immediately and gave her arnica, it came up a little bruised and looked slightly swollen - I think she will get a black nose/eyes tomorrow, poor thing.

Question is, could she have broken it? Should I be worried?

Shes gone to bed now and I've checked on her, doesn't seem to be sounding funny in her breathing or anything, just looks marked across her nose and red.

FlamingoBingo Mon 07-Sep-09 09:21:01

Nothing you can do about it anyway. Put some arnica cream on it.

mum2RandR Mon 07-Sep-09 11:06:53

Im not sure if they can break there nose at that age. My DS got elbowed in the nose at school when he was about 5 and even though it bled really badly, the school nurse told me it wasnt broken because theres no bone in there nose yet, just cartilage.
Not sure how true it is, but shes usually really accurate. How is she today?

alypaly Mon 07-Sep-09 11:08:13

as long as it is not deviated ,there is nothing the docs will do. they only put plaster on it if it has changed shape or collapsed.

imalwaysatthehospital Mon 07-Sep-09 15:09:56

Ah thanks for replying guys, she seems fine, gave her some arnica last night and this morning - must buy the cream too.

I guess I'd know if there was any bad damage? She's not wincing, there's hardly a mark, so it must be ok I'm guessing.

It just sounded so painful and she really screamed! I'll keep an eye on it and if it looks strange I'll take her to the docs. I asked her how it was feeling and she said it hurt, but it cant be bothering her too much.

Thanks
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now