Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

what looks like nappy rash, but isnt?

(6 Posts)
nouveaupauvre Fri 04-Sep-09 23:44:45

ds (2) has something i thought at first was nappy rash and now dont think it is. it doesnt seem sore or itchy and he isnt worried about it, but rather than the red angry patches you usually get with nappy rash he has a lot of little spots, some rather pustulous, that when they start drying up give way to flaky patches.
tried ditching the babywipes and cleaning with damp cotton wool for a week plus loads of sudocrem which helped a bit but it is now coming back again despite such efforts. he has been in reusables since birth and i have double-washed them at high temperature in case there is some sort of germ lurking in them. he has been a bit generally off colour for the last week as well tho not sure if it's related (he's also had a cold).
will take him to the doctors on monday if it hasnt cleared up but anyone got any helpful suggestions?

carrie1985 Sat 05-Sep-09 01:25:28

have you tried bepanthen? it was my slavation!

Jacksmama Sat 05-Sep-09 04:11:54

I wonder if it could be a yeast infection, I think you call it thrush in the UK. It looks like nappy rash.

Can you get cream for vaginal thrush without a prescription in the UK? If you can, I'd buy some - the kind that goes on the outside of your bits, not the kind you're meant to put up inside - and smear it on his bottom. Here, it's miconazole nitrate, or clotrimazole nitrate cream, 2%, which is safe for babies and toddlers. If it is yeast, that should help.

SofiaAmes Sat 05-Sep-09 04:49:47

Sounds like thrush. Put canestan on it. My dd used to get it on her bottom AND the backs of her knees.

Tambajam Sat 05-Sep-09 07:33:51

I agree it sounds like a yeast infection. Ask your pharmacist for daktarin which is how miconazole 2% comes over here.

morocco Sun 06-Sep-09 22:46:50

maybe thrush or hand/foot/mouth disease = can also get rash on bum with that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now