Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4mo baby with swollen head/neck

(60 Posts)
Swaliswan Thu 03-Sep-09 08:46:58

DD2 has not been well for over a week. She's been snuffly, hoarse and grumpy/tired. This morning she has a swollen area at the top of her neck/base of her head on both sides of her head. I'm not sure whether to bother the doctor.

Any ideas?

rubyslippers Thu 03-Sep-09 08:48:17

bother the doctor ...

she is only 4 months old

Feierabend Thu 03-Sep-09 08:52:51

Definitely the doctor. It could be swollen glands - might be a sign of tonsillitis. Does she have a temperature at all?

WhatFreshHellIsThis Thu 03-Sep-09 08:54:59

Definitely bother the doctor - it's probably nothing serious, but at 4 months, babies' health can deteriorate very quickly so doctors like to see them asap. They'll probably fit her in today if you call.

Hope it's nothing to worry about smile

Swaliswan Thu 03-Sep-09 08:56:33

No temp, a bit tired and off her food but nothing worrying.

Swaliswan Thu 03-Sep-09 09:15:00

Doctor will see her at 5pm.

Swaliswan Thu 03-Sep-09 18:24:34

Well, the doctor said that it felt like fluid on DD2's head/neck rather than glands so we're back on monday for another check...

rubyslippers Thu 03-Sep-09 18:26:09

aw - hope she is ok

Swaliswan Fri 04-Sep-09 12:54:05

She now has a swollen face in front of her ears too sad Am waiting for 2pm when GP surgery re-opens. I wonder if she has mumps?

dawntigga Fri 04-Sep-09 12:58:11

Swali let us know how that goes.

ConcernedTiggaxx

Swaliswan Fri 04-Sep-09 13:03:52

sad She also has a temperature now and is struggling to feed.

Harimosmummy Fri 04-Sep-09 13:06:21

Hope she is ok. CAn you take her to urgent care?

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 04-Sep-09 13:08:56

Message withdrawn

JumeirahJane Fri 04-Sep-09 13:10:23

Swali, sounds worrying, but I'm sure it'll turn out to be nothing too serious, but as long as you can get seen soon, and hopefully the same doc as you saw yesterday. Poor little lamb. If no joy at docs, I'd consider going to the hospital, especially now she has a temp.

Northernlurker Fri 04-Sep-09 13:25:40

She needs to be seen. Is she very lethargic? If so I would definately go straight to A&E.

kazkiss Fri 04-Sep-09 13:28:05

pop along to the A and E

Twinsmommy Fri 04-Sep-09 13:28:46

If your child is salivating a lot, it sounds like mumps to me. My son had it - huge swelling behind just one ear (but it's typically both) one day, that went onto his face the next. He was off his food, but dribbling terribly. Mumps affects the saliva glands. His clothes were saturated. Not a real problem in children so small - obviously side effects the older the person is when they get it. Definitely get it checked again. My GP didn't want to commit himself at all. It was only when I demanded a second opinion, that we got referred to a paediatrician and it was diagnosed. I no longer take my son to that original GP.

Swaliswan Fri 04-Sep-09 13:31:21

She's not lethargic/floppy as such, just needing lots of cuddles and needs to nap quite a bit. I'm really poorly too - very dizzy/headachey/tummy ache/can't stand up well.

Swaliswan Fri 04-Sep-09 13:33:55

She is dribbly for her but not obviously teething which was confusing me a bit. Maybe it is mumps then?

Feierabend Fri 04-Sep-09 13:34:10

Swali can you get your dh to come home and look after both of you?

Swaliswan Fri 04-Sep-09 13:34:33

He's already here.

Feierabend Fri 04-Sep-09 13:35:20

Oh good. I do hope you and dd will soon feel better!

DesperateHousewifeToo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:36:49

I thought it sounded like mumps too.

Dd had verry swollen glands a couple of months ago. Gp said not mumps though as the swelling would have been more in her cheeks next to her ears which sounds as you describe.

(Turned out dd had scarlet fever. A rash appeared the next day. So we had 2 emergency gp appt 2 days in a row!)

Mumps is a notifiable disease so I got an appointment easily with gp when I mentioned that I thought that's what is was.

I'd try to be seen somewhere today to set your mind at rest. Perfectly reasonable to ask to be seen again as she is so young and her symptoms have changed and worsened.

Good luck. Hope she is ok.

Swaliswan Fri 04-Sep-09 13:38:32

GP said to come back if she got worse/changed so I know that she will see DD2. Not worried about getting GP to see her, just worried about how DD2 is feeling.

DesperateHousewifeToo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:40:25

Has she had any painkillers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now