Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby sleeping separately on holiday

(8 Posts)
PinkyRed Wed 02-Sep-09 21:31:08

She's a very good health visitor really - but today I told her that we were going on holiday next week, staying in a caravan, and I've been told that there won't be enough room for his travel cot in our room, so DS (18wks)will have to sleep in the living area, on his own. She seem to think this was quite a problem, but sighed that since we had already booked the holiday there was nothing we could do,and at least I would be checking more often.

I know that the advice is to have babies in the same room until 6mnths, and DS is still in with us at home, but do you really think I'm being reckless putting him in a separate room while we're on holiday? Is this a big risk?

PacificDogwood Wed 02-Sep-09 21:38:08

hmm at HV advice/attitude.
I am not being inflammatory, but is he your first?

He will be absolutely fine. At over 4 months old he can control his head, his breathing/temp control is matured and I am sure he can scream v loudly if he needs/wants to wink.

Enjoy your holiday, he will be fine. You will all be in the SAME caravan, will you not? I really cannot see the issue...

<<Disclaimer: I am irresponsible mother of 3 (soon to be 4 grin) who co-slept part of the night and had premature newborn babies otherwise in their own room because I could not stand listening to every snuffle/grunt/snore>>
smile

allaboutme Wed 02-Sep-09 21:39:32

he'll be FINE smile

Iggi999 Wed 02-Sep-09 21:41:14

I have no idea how big the risk really is. The advice certainly is to keep the baby in the room with you, so your HV would be irresponsible if she said otherwise. I had major anxiety issues about my DS when he was younger, slept on a breathing monitor etc, so I'm afraid I would be sleeping on the bed in the living room bit along with the travel cot! Peace of mind would come first for me. Sorry not trying to pressure you but you did ask for opinions.

PinkyRed Wed 02-Sep-09 21:43:30

I knew I was being PFB about it and the worst thing is...he's not even my PFB,he's my PSecondB! blush How embarrassing.

In my defence, I've had a tough time recently and I'm not that confident in my judgement atm.

Thank you for talking me down grin

PacificDogwood Wed 02-Sep-09 21:44:59

smile

I really mean no offense at all.

Hope you all have a very nice holiday and you'll be able to relax. Maybe you're lucky and the weather gods will cooperate too, who knows?

allaboutme Wed 02-Sep-09 21:45:49

At home even with him in your room do you ALWAYS lay up there with him when he is sleeping? Nap time? At 7pm when he goes to bed?

He's fine those times isnt he? He'll be fine in the next room honestly.
If you leave the door open it'll be just the same as all being in one big room anyway grin

PinkyRed Wed 02-Sep-09 21:53:43

PD - not offended at all, I genuinely do need someone to calm me down sometimes.

Iggi99 - thanks for your comments too; in all honesty, I think I am overreacting a bit, but like you, I have had problems with anxiety in the past, and I'm not always a good judge of risk.

allaboutme - you are a genius, open door is brilliant compromise and I think that's what we'll do.

Weather gods will not cooperate - judging by our previous holidays, anyone in the Yorkshire area should be stocking up on sandbags and inflatable dinghies grin - but we will enjoy ourselves anyway!

Thanks very much to all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now