Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Funny poo in 17 month old - possible stomach upset or something else?

(9 Posts)
Gangle Wed 02-Sep-09 11:59:10

DS, 17 months, has had funny poo for about 9 days now. It's quite loose and very smelly (sour) and varies in colour from very dark to very yellow. He is also going very very frequently so that he is now getting a sore bum despite us changing him asap plus waking in the night to poo which he has never done since a newborn. He is fine in himself, alert and drinking normally though has also gone off his food a bit in the last few days. Something is definitely up but not sure what. He has the single measles jab on 18th Aug so could possibly be a delayed reaction to that? Spoke to dr last week who said it was unlikely to be food poisoning as he's not being sick but to bring in a sample if it doesn't clear up, which I will do tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Worried it is more than a stomach upset as it's taking so long to go. Will see dr in next few days but any thoughts before then would be very welcome.

Gangle Wed 02-Sep-09 12:28:49

bump

Gangle Wed 02-Sep-09 21:47:15

anyone??

pushmepullyou Wed 02-Sep-09 21:55:48

My DD is younger than your DS (9 months), but she had an upset stomach lasting a fortnight recently. The GP said that in babies and toddlers it can take a while for their systems to go back to normal after a bug and as long as she wasn't dehydrated she would be fine.

Gangle Wed 02-Sep-09 21:59:33

thank you pushme. Do you really think it could just be a common bug that is taking a while to clear his system? So worried that it may be a food intolerance or really nasty bug/virus/worm he has picked up from somewhere as it did come on suddenly and his poos are very smelly and sometimes full of mucus/jelly like (nice!). Poor boy. Taking a stool sample to the dr tomorrow and will ask them to test.

tutu100 Wed 02-Sep-09 22:01:51

My ds when he was 2.3 had a condition called toddler diahorria (probably spelt wrong). He had the runs for a month. It was very wearing. He had a stool sample which confirmed no bacterial infection. We were told it was just something that would clear up on it's own.

I think you should see the GP, but if he seems well in himself then he's probably ok. My ds was fine in himself (although he did find the frequent pooing upsetting for the first week). He also got a sore bum which one very kind mumsnetter sent me some lasinoh which really helped. Metanium wasn't doing anything.

The only thing the GP wanted to do was make sure ds didn't get dehydrated so we were prescribed rehydration sachets.

Hope everything is ok. Let us know how you get on.

Gangle Thu 03-Sep-09 12:04:59

thanks Tutu. My main worry is the frequency and the timing - what could cause pooing in the night/waking up to poo when he has never done so before?

tutu100 Thu 03-Sep-09 13:03:03

the toddler diahorrea thing ds had meant sometimes he would poo 15 times a day. Obviously the amounts were small but he started waking to poo (but he was a poor sleeper anyway). When will you get the results of the poo sample back?

You really do have my sympathies. I was besides myself with worry when ds had it. It just seemed no one else was bothered even when he lost weight, but looking back I can see that the GP was right, he was fine in himself. He had energy and was behaving normally.

I was told to not give ds dairy products for a few weeks to help reduce the likelihood of him getting a temporary dairy intolerance (obviously more difficult with a 17 month old than a 2 year old). I was also told the normal give bland foods such as rice and toast.

Gangle Thu 10-Sep-09 22:07:25

Tutu, DS still has loose stools and we got him weighed today and he has lost 0.5 kilos - was 11.5 and is now 11 - so am really really upset and worried. Will take him back to dr tomorrow. What did you dr do when your DS lost weight? Our GP said it was ok so long as DS doesn't loose weight but now he has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now