Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hospital missed my toddlers broken collarbone 3 times!

(6 Posts)
Abubu Tue 01-Sep-09 11:29:03

My Mum and Dad looked after my twins last week for a couple of hours while I was at the dentist.

When i returned they told me that one of my girls had a fall and she was still crying her eyes out when I got there.

The next day my hubby took her to the hospital as she was wincing and crying whenever we picked her up under the armpits. We weren't sure what was wrong with her, but she had a virus the same week so didn't know if it was the fall or just feeling ill.

Anyway we ended up going 3 times over a couple of days as she wasnt showing any sign of improvement.
On Saturday she started holding her arm a bit funny, as if it was in an invisible sling. So we went back and asked for an Xray and it turned out she has a broken collarbone!

I can't believe the hospital missed it 3 times! Plus the nurse was quite nasty as she asked if I had given my daughter any painkillers and when i said no (because she tends to just hold it in her mouth then spit it out) she said "well as a mother that's the least i would do". She made me feel like a terrible Mum but they were the ones who kept telling me there was nothing wrong with her! angry

Just a warning to all parents to go with your gut instincts. I don't trust doctors at all now.

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 01-Sep-09 14:13:53

Message withdrawn

morningpaper Tue 01-Sep-09 14:19:33

This happened to me - DESPITE several x-rays it was missed - although the consultant said that they worry so much about spinal and neck injuries that they just tend to focus on that - collar bone fractures are secondary.

I would dose up on painkillers though - Calpol is expensive but definitely the nicest tasting!

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 01-Sep-09 14:22:03

shock shock

Incredible. I've also had a nurse say something equally crappy. She said, 'why haven't you given paracetamol to a child with a dangerously high temperature...'

It was because when I took it, the thermometer was giving a normal reading (turns out there was a fault with it, but still...)

Agree with Pixie -- a good mum knows when something is wrong, even if the medical people don't!

suwoo Tue 01-Sep-09 14:22:19

I broke my collarbone at school when I was 5 or 6. The teacher didn't write my fall in the accident book. Apparently her face was a picture when I turned up in a sling a few days later. My mum was livid.

Your poor DD.

stonethecrows Sun 06-Sep-09 20:49:25

Doctors also missed a broken collarbone in one of my twins first time we visited A and E. Definitely agree...always go with your instincts! (and hope your little one feels better soon!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now