Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

If I want to try and avoid winter bugs for my 2 year old ds, are swimming lessons a stupid idea?

(7 Posts)
tatty33 Mon 31-Aug-09 19:36:03

Just trying to get a sense if he's more likely to pick up colds / viruses during swimming than at the usual toddler groups...

Don't mean to sound neurotic, its just that he can get really ill from colds and coughs

Thanks

whomovedmychocolate Mon 31-Aug-09 19:44:56

Chlorine kills the bugs in the water. If he's a 'licker' though best not. The changing rooms can be a bit pitlike and full of buglets.

Reallytired Mon 31-Aug-09 19:48:02

I don't think your two year old will lose out if you wait until he is a little older for swimming lessons. At this age they are not capable of following instructions in a group. You would be better just to have a fun swim than shelling out for lessons.

Most children learn to swim quite quickly at four or five years old. Starting at two year old gives little advantage other than water confidence.

crokky Mon 31-Aug-09 19:48:51

Personally, I feel that there are more bugs at a toddler group than at a swimming pool.

At a toddler group, they go up to eachother, cough and sneeze directly over eachother etc etc. In a pool, they will be further apart and the water is chlorinated anyway.

Regarding the changing rooms, take a little buggy such as a maclaren so that you can strap him up when necessary so he doesn't go putting his hands all over places where he might pick bugs up.

sally78 Mon 31-Aug-09 20:01:09

I always think ear infections are more of an issue with swimming.

At the end of the day short of putting a bag over their heads they will get bugs and rightly so, sets them up for later life.

tatty33 Mon 31-Aug-09 20:10:03

You're right reallytired i won't be cross if he hasn't completed his 25m by January! so maybe we'll just do drop-ins when we're feeling strong and healthy

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 31-Aug-09 20:17:35

I think at 2 its better to spend money on the activities you enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now