Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

The smell of DS's farts has got beyond a joke

(25 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 20:35:17

Honestly, and it's not just a one off. At times it's really frequent. And it's been going on for a while.

What would you do? (he's 8 btw)

HelenHighwater Sun 30-Aug-09 20:38:26

What's he eating?
Any food allergies?

GwarchodwrPlant Sun 30-Aug-09 20:39:35

If you have a diet high in beans, veg and fruit then he will have stinky farts! Do you eat a lot of stew?

NinjaRain Sun 30-Aug-09 20:39:48

grin stop feeding him beans?

sorry not helpful but I do feel for you. My ds has farts that need serious ventilation. It is not pleasant.

hope you actually get some sensible advice.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 20:45:10

I'm wondering about diet but don't know where to start. I wouldn't say he eats anything odd or excessively. And it's on the better side of normal I'd say, in that there's some junk in there, but mostly ok stuff.

No food allergies. Used to be allergic to cows milk protein as a baby so of course I'm wondering if its a hangover from that. But I'm sure it's worse than it used to be.

Don't know whether to concentrate on more fruit / veg though he must be at 4 or 5 portions a day already. I know it should be deffo 5, but it's not that far out,is it. Some kids eat less than that and don't stink like this. Or whether it could be something else.

What normally causes these things?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 20:47:45

I don't think we eat a lot of beans grin I don't fart like he does.

bran Sun 30-Aug-09 20:47:56

Does he have dairy now? You could try switching to goat's milk and see if it makes him less windy. If I have any quantity of cow's milk I have explosive poos and noxious wind about 24 hours later. (Sorry if TMI blush)

nickschick Sun 30-Aug-09 20:47:57

mmoc....my ds gets stinky trumpets and his breath stinks in the morning if hes overdone the dairy - he used to have a v bad intolerance to dairy but can eat some now and suffer the consequences.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 20:48:48

(as an aside, what does Gwarchodwr mean? I know the Plant bit...)

HelenHighwater Sun 30-Aug-09 20:51:42

Dairy and wheat I've heard to cause problems sometimes. It can also be caused by hormones (but somehow couldn't see an 8 year old boy having hormone problems - yet).

I would go the food route. Maybe ask the gp what way you could go about adjusting his diet to see what it is that's affecting him.

pushmepullyou Sun 30-Aug-09 20:54:58

What do they smell of? If they're sulphorous then a probiotic might help.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 20:59:28

It is truly the most minging smell I have known.

Honestly.

At best I would say they smell like mouldy ready salted crisps. Will ask DH if he would describe it as sulphurous (in style of wine connoisseur) !

A healthy diet of beans, fruit and veg shouldn't be causing that kind of stink.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 30-Aug-09 21:02:48

i thought of a probiotic but not one of those useless sugar filled yoghurt drinks though, a capsule or powder. You can get banana flavour powders that you add to food.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 21:09:55

DH said bad eggs.

Apologies for TMI here grin

Humphrey, that sounds interesting. Do you add it to a glass of milk or something? Or could I put it in a yogurt? Do you get it in chemists?

Also, what normal foods should I be thinking about increasing to avoid having to use a probiotic?

bramblebooks Sun 30-Aug-09 21:25:41

Ew! Two thoughts apart from beans; food allergy (dh is coeliac and that was one of the 'effects' pre-diagnosis) & also that prior to the late phase pre-diagnosis of diabetes for ds2, he was incredibly windy as his high blood sugars caused that delightful symptom.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 30-Aug-09 21:27:53

There'd be other symptoms with both of those, though surely? Nowt wrong with the child apart from the smells from his backside.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 31-Aug-09 10:08:46

Message withdrawn

HumphreyCobbler Mon 31-Aug-09 11:16:06

Has he had an antibiotic at all lately? If so I would give a probiotic definitely. You can get them from health food shops. Sorry I don't know about useful foods except live yoghurt.

bramblebooks Mon 31-Aug-09 16:46:07

Pixie, as I said in my post, these symptoms came before the late phase ones which were indeed huge thirst and need to urinate. Coeliac is linked closely to t1 diabetes as it is part of the same cluster of auto-immune diseases.

But, I hope it's neither of the above, nor anything else illness/disease-wise, just wanted to clarify from personal experience.

MrsMagnolia Mon 31-Aug-09 19:58:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nightcat Tue 01-Sep-09 09:32:29

Farts are a sign of fermentation rather than digestion, often a result of eating too much carbs that feed those fermenting bacteria.
Add probiotics and limit sugars and carbs and see how it goes. Even replacing wheat (which is harder to digest than other carbs) with rice, potatoes, millet, buckwheat should make a difference.

danthe4th Tue 01-Sep-09 16:34:53

Make him go to the loo his bowels are full!!!

GwarchodwrPlant Tue 01-Sep-09 21:16:22

MMOC- it means Child Minder grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 02-Sep-09 17:54:59

Ah, diolch yn fawr grin

TBH there's farting and there's farting. I find it hard to believe that smell is the sign of a healthy gut.

I think danthe4th might have a point. He's been ok the last couple of days blush Thank goodnes!

LIZS Wed 02-Sep-09 18:00:27

similar problem with ds - wholewheat cereal is a contributory factor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now